Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michigan re-offers Dawson

Go down 
+5
michmike
fishgoblue22
WillieMfan
BetterThansparty
MichiganFootball13
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

Michigan re-offers Dawson Empty
PostSubject: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 pm

What do you guys think of the Michigan coaching staff re-offering OL David Dawson? I think it is great as long as he can stop acting like a prima donna and finally settle 100% on Michigan. I just hope this will not cause tension between the recruits. However, most of the recruits seemed to like Dawson and they all got along so I don't see that happening......

Your thoughts???
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 am

I'm not a fan of the move. Granted, we need OL help on the worst way (which is why I think that he was re-offered, but this kinda undermines the whole "no visits after you commit" thing. This sets a precedent that I'm not thrilled about, but I think Coach Hoke has been under a lot of heat...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?

Last edited by 2ndComingOfBo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 am

Screw him. Last I heard (which was like 2 days ago) he scheduled visits to Columbus and EL. I thought it was Florida he wanted to visit so bad? I swear he is doing it deliberately.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am

It has absolutely nothing to do with Hoke being under a lot of heat. There is no heat around Coach Hoke.

UM sent the message. The message was heard by all recruits, current and future. Rumor is that Dawson regrets what happened and wants to be at UM. Lesson learned.

I'm glad UM re-offered, and I think he will be part of this class.

Some of you need to get off your high horse and remember that these are high school kids making decisions that will greatly impact their lives. It's easy for us to look at it from the outside and say "screw him", but come on.

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
remember that these are high school kids

That is easy to forget (esp. with what time does to the memory of us un-kids, eh, folks?). And kids, all kids, make poor decisions at one time or another.

I'm of the impression Coach Hoke (and/or asst.'s) had a private chat with Mr.Dawson, who expressed remorse
over his tactics, and expressed even more interest, and reaffirmation, in his Michigan scholly. Otherwise, I would not expect a second offer to be made.

And I could not agree more with your refuting the implication that coach Hoke is "under a lot of heat."
No way in hell...
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 am

michmike wrote:

And I could not agree more with your refuting the implication that coach Hoke is "under a lot of heat."
No way in hell...

Great pun. Lot of heat, no way in hell.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 am

Argh, Argh...wasn't intended as a pun*, Fish...but since you picked up on it, we're pinning this [bad] one on you.

* - this once...
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 10:43 am

I have to believe there is something there in order for the coaches to re-offer...and I do not think that "something" is Coach being under pressure or that he has changed his stance. We may never know what happened for this to happen, but, IMHO we just have to trust Coach.

Go Blue and see ya in Fla!! Smile

TheBigHouse

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm

This article explains a little bit as to why Dawson wanted out of his commitment and why Hoke asked him back. Also talks about other recruits for the open scholarship.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121130/OPINION03/211300435/Where-Michigan-stands-four-top-offensive-line-recruits?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm

That is a good read BigHouse. I feel for the young man. Having to deal with the death of your father at such a young age has to be tough, but also having to decide your future school, with everyone telling you to come here, no, come here...... I hope he lands in Ann Arbor.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Yes, I send that---thanks, B.H.

Just awful about DD's father. The young man has been through a lot in the past year, per that clip. At a time like this, bereaved, troubled and confused, he needs understanding and a steadying influence from without as well as from within his family. And if any coach can provide the paternalistic support he needs at this point...I have to believe that "other" B.H. can. Just the way he treats his players, and the general populace overall, stands testament to that.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't think there's anything inconsistent about Hoke's handling of the policy. As I understand it, if a committed recruit takes a visit to another school, they are no longer considered a "commit". It doesn't necessarily mean that they wash their hands of that recruit, just that they are no longer holding a spot for him. Logically, the policy makes sense to me. If the recruit is visiting other schools, why put yourself in a position where he can leave at the last minute while you've been passing on other recruits who could replace him? If he wants the benefit of continuing to shop his services, he should assume the risks that come along with it.

There are three recruits this has happened with: Brown, Dawson and Conley. It seems that with Brown, they moved on immediately after the de-commitment. With Conley, they seem to be still recruiting him, from what I hear it's because he was open about the possibility for awhile. It seemed like because of the way Dawson handled it initially, they were moving on from him, but apparently he made an attempt to mend some fences, so now they've offered him again. I just don't have a problem with the way they've handled this. Let me put it this way, even if they didn't have the policy, there would still be kids (likely more) de-committing from the program. The policy just helps cover us when that happens. I also think kids prefer it when you're open and up-front about how your'e going to handle things if they choose to visit other schools.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm

jjabilene wrote:
I don't think there's anything inconsistent about Hoke's handling of the policy. As I understand it, if a committed recruit takes a visit to another school, they are no longer considered a "commit". It doesn't necessarily mean that they wash their hands of that recruit, just that they are no longer holding a spot for him. Logically, the policy makes sense to me. If the recruit is visiting other schools, why put yourself in a position where he can leave at the last minute while you've been passing on other recruits who could replace him? If he wants the benefit of continuing to shop his services, he should assume the risks that come along with it.

There are three recruits this has happened with: Brown, Dawson and Conley. It seems that with Brown, they moved on immediately after the de-commitment. With Conley, they seem to be still recruiting him, from what I hear it's because he was open about the possibility for awhile. It seemed like because of the way Dawson handled it initially, they were moving on from him, but apparently he made an attempt to mend some fences, so now they've offered him again. I just don't have a problem with the way they've handled this. Let me put it this way, even if they didn't have the policy, there would still be kids (likely more) de-committing from the program. The policy just helps cover us when that happens. I also think kids prefer it when you're open and up-front about how your'e going to handle things if they choose to visit other schools.

VERY well put, jj!! I admit I didn't look at the policy like that before, so wasn't sure if I agreed with it. But, it makes sense now and I'm surprised none of the other schools do it the same way. Welllll, other schools except for the one down south and the one in EL. Gotta have coaches with INTEGRITY to have that sort of policy!!!!

Thanks for your insight!!

Go Blue and see ya in Fla!! Smile
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 pm

So then the commitment means nothing? Technically a verbal doesn't mean anything anyway but this all goes back to my point. Don't say that you're committed just to say that you are. 16 to 18 year old kids are going to change their minds, that's just a fact of life. I did, you did, we all have. But on something this major you've gotta stick to your guns, at least longer than a week. Make the kid weat it out at the very least 3 weeks. I'm not saying that you shouodn't talk to the kid, ALWAYS maintain contact, just don't re-offer for 3 weeks. Other recruits will see this and think that they can do what they want. We're Michigan, you should want us more than we want you. This basically tells kids to comit right away, then de-comit after most of the other kids have comitted, talke your extra visits and get your dick sucked by the SEC, and then you can re-comit later if you want. No one holds Michigan hostage.

Go Blue!

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:04 am

Making the kid sweat it out will do nothing but harm the program. Word gets out how coaches handle recruits. I'm with jj on this.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:04 pm

So coddling these kids is a better idea? Eventually there will be a team full of "Neon"-Deon Sanders...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 pm

What makes you think they were coddled?

Your statement is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:40 pm

They can do what they want. Say one thing but do another, not feel any consequences for their actions. College is about growing up. Michigan takes it a step further and turns people into Michigan Men. IMHO this is not accomplishing that goal. We might as well be ohio...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:55 pm

1. They are not at UM yet, and may never be there.

2. You have no idea what has been said between these players and the coaches.

3. The players are free to look around because they are no longer "committed".

4. Verbal "commitments" are ridiculous, because they are worthless.

5. Other teams are still recruiting players committed to UM, so UM needs to keep recruiting even decomitted players.

6. There needs to be an early signing period like there is in BB. Sign early or don't and keep looking around.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:07 pm

So you're saying let these teen-age punks do whatever they want? Hold several universities by the short-hairs? What are we teeaching them now, how to be a drug dealer/pimp/extortionist?

This is the constant flap I have with this board (it's minimal and I like the forum so it doesn't bother me much). I care about th University as a whole and the kind of young men it produces. To a degree, it's a reflection on me and all other Alumni. You seem to care about football only. Do second chances deseerve second chances too?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Punks really? Wow, do you know these kids? Now you sound like an old foagy.

One kid's dad died tragically recently, and one isn't sure about what is best for his future.

You have no idea how they will represent the school if they go there.
Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

It sucks that these two seem like they are just toying around with us but from experience I know how hard it is to chose a school to play for which could alter the rest of your life when you are only 17 years old. Some handle it better than others but it is still the biggest decision these kids have ever made.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Wasn't it Dawson whose Father just passed away? He deserves a little lee-way then but I still believe that he was reoffered too quickly. Conley is just doing what he wants, taking free vacations. If, like you said, Conley just isn't sure why then did he make a "non-binding" comittment? He was just using UM to get other schools to swereten the pot. If Michigan takes him back no-questions asks right-away that tells Conley, and every other recruit, that they are bigger than the University.

To put it in Football for you I defer to Bo's "The Team" speech. Do you think that a bunch of Prima Donna kids who come into a school are going to buy into a team approach? I find it rather telling that we haven't heard from Shane regarding this ordeal. Shane appears to be the type of person Michigan wants. A leader who focuses on THE TEAM.

Please note, I am not saying that we should never offer Dawson or Conley again, rather we should wait at least a week (personally I'd wait 3 weeks but stay in contact with them). This is where I'm saying that Coach Hoke is experiencing heat, granted not a lot yet but the stove has been turned on. A 4 loss season combined with losses to 2 of your 3 biggest rivals will do that. especially with HOW we lost. If we had a bigger and more talented OL as well as an actual RB that 4th and 3 disaster at ohio last week would not have happened. The Head Coach at Michigan is a great job, but it also comes with enormous criticism. Unless you are perfect you can expect to hear some grief from the AD, boosters, players, media, alumni, etc. Look at Borges, the guy called a play that should have worked but with the smaller guys that Rich Clod stocked the team with you get what we got. Knowing football and how to win Coach Hoke needs those types of players badly now. Once Michigan gets back to where it belongs then Coach Hoke will start picking & choosing who he wants. Coach Hoke knows Michigan, he loves Michigan, I fully belive that he believes in Michigan. He is just in a spot currently where he has to be flexible. I know that, I understand that, but I'm not willing to compromise Michigan's standards for a "championship".

I understand that this is a large decision for a 16-17 year old to make, that's why I'm saying DON'T MAKE IT early.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BlueNectarine

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I will talk from a parent of a fairly high recruited kid....The coaches were "playing" my kid as well..."keep playing well and we will offer", "one more great game"...."next week"...."give us another week"...So my kid waited and kept playing great...no offer from these schools. Then other schools who had offered who were very good, pulled their offer because they filled his spot...IT WORKS BOTH WAYS! and trust me this was several schools that did this

Michigan re-offers Dawson View;_ylt=A0PDoS_eb1pPq10AW..JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dblue%2Bnectarine%26fr%3Dytff1-sunm%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D4&w=128&h=160&imgurl=cache2.artprintimages.com%2Fp%2FMED%2F14%2F1466%2FD57Q000Z%2Fart-print%2Fnancy-s-mueller-shepherd-nectarine-with-blue-background.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.art.com%2Fgallery%2Fid--a54591%2Fnancy-s-mueller-shepherd-posters.htm&size=9.7+KB&name=Nectarine+with+Blue+Background&p=blue+nectarine&oid=d9154da3a7c579113add2128567c8d8a&fr2=piv-web&fr=ytff1-sunm&rw=blue+nectarine&tt=Nectarine%2Bwith%2BBlue%2BBackground&b=0&ni=96&no=4&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=12aku0pmh&sigb=138dd6ui3&sigi=13mvpvgq7&
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 pm

That's why I'm saying a comittment is a comittment, regardless of verbals being non-binding and all. A Michigan-Man keeps his word.

In other news wow, Georgia is pretty good. Glad that I'm not a betting man as I would have taken 'bama in this. Connected to that I'm thining Wisconsin wins tonight. I'm still not sold on Nebraska, I really don't care who wins (although Nebraska would get us to a "better" bowl-Is there really a difference between Cap. 1 and Outback though?).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
1. They are not at UM yet, and may never be there.

2. You have no idea what has been said between these players and the coaches.

3. The players are free to look around because they are no longer "committed".

4. Verbal "commitments" are ridiculous, because they are worthless.

5. Other teams are still recruiting players committed to UM, so UM needs to keep recruiting even decomitted players.

6. There needs to be an early signing period like there is in BB. Sign early or don't and keep looking around.

1,000,000% in agreement with nbr 6 fish....long, long overdue, but the true question is is that what ESPN and the SEC want to see? If not...ain't happening.

Go Blue and see you in Fla!!

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 pm

A 5 loss Wisconsin team in the Rose would be disgusting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michigan re-offers Dawson   Michigan re-offers Dawson Empty

Back to top Go down

Michigan re-offers Dawson
Page 1 of 1