Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.

Go down 
+2
BetterThansparty
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. Empty
PostSubject: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Thoughts?

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/backyard/in_hindsight_10_seasons_when_the_best_football_player_in_america_did_not_win_the_heisman_trophy/12228232?refmod=backyard&refsrc=yardbarker
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

I still can't believe that people still think that Peyton should have won over Charles. I'm not being bias here because I wasn't even a Michigan fan at that time. Anywho, the Heisman goes to the most outstanding player, not the most valuable, most effective, our largest contributing player. The most outstanding player. Woodson was a threat to score whenever her was on the field, which was all the time. Peyton was only on the field while Tennessee was on offense.

Woodson was more outstanding than Peyton, and I say that as someone who wasn't a Michigan fan during that time.

Last edited by 2ndComingOfBo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm

He uses Manning's NFL career as proof. WTF.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
He uses Manning's NFL career as proof. WTF.

yeah as if Charles' NFL career has been a bust. they are both sure fire first round hall of famers. What a lame excuse.

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm different than most UM fans, I really like Peyton Manning, I think he is not only a great QB, but a great person. But Charles deserved the Heisman that year.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I'm different than most UM fans, I really like Peyton Manning, I think he is not only a great QB, but a great person. But Charles deserved the Heisman that year.

plus he makes great commercials!

all kidding aside I like the dude too and I'm certainly open to hearing any argument for peyton deserving that heisman but the thing that gives charles my vote (as if I actually have one) is that he did it three ways (yes mostly on D) and he came up BIG in BIG TIME situations.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Yes, Peyton it's a great guy and all but Charles was more outstanding than he was. Peyton was outstanding on Saturday Night Live but that is both irrelevant and AFTER college. Doesn't Charles have more rings too? How can you even rationalize any argument for Peyton over Charles?

They're all the same.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 am

Mullett comes across, to these eyes at least, as a complete idiot. Openly states, in the preamble of his article, that "Pro success should have nothing to do with Heisman winning." Yet bases much of his lavish praise of Manning, in the blurb on Charles-vs.-PM/RM, on Payton's NFL exploits.

And while I agree with many of you that P.M. is a class guy, on and off the field, I can't erase the memory of his less-than-class act at the D.A.C. the night Charles was awarded the hardware.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 am

A great argument against Peyton is that the year AFTER he leaves the Vols, they win the NC with Tee Martin at QB.

Before Peyton's team finally won a Super Bowl after several play-off failures, The Onion ran a really funny piece about how the Colts were going to bring in Tee Martin for the play-offs.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 am

michmike wrote:
And while I agree with many of you that P.M. is a class guy, on and off the field, I can't erase the memory of his less-than-class act at the D.A.C. the night Charles was awarded the hardware.

I don't remember and classless act by him. I remember he looked disappointed/shocked, but I think most of us were shocked. He was the first to shake Woodson's hand. Not much other than that.

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am

I also recall nothing that Peyton did that night.

What did he do Mike?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am

Sorry, Fish---

That isn't what I remember. Sitting in front of the TV on what was already a great day (our hoopsters erased a 17-point halftime deficit to beat No.1 Duke at Crisler that afternoon), I recall a man who appeared to have believed his blowhard coach when the latter said, "If Payton doesn't win the Heisman, it's a travesty." When Woodson's name was called, Peyton's emotion seemed (to me at least) to be more than shock: more suggestive of a man who was just told he had six weeks to live.

And even if I exaggerate in that analogy, as I no doubt do, "shocked" is not what he should have been. Disappointed, yes; not shocked, because the latter emotion all but suggests he considered the award a completely done deal, and had no consideration whatsoever that it might go to someone else.

My take.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 am

ADDENDUM (Joe and Fish)...let me give out by adding that overall, generally, Peyton's a class guy, as I've said. And accurate or inaccurate as my assessment of his appearance at the D.A.C. that night in 1997 may be, I'll go on record as saying not he, nor any other Heisman finalist I've ever seen, even came close to matching the distastefulness of crybaby BRADY QUINN. Not only insisted on bringing his blonde babe along, but with each passing selection** that wasn't him, he looked like he was going to go into cardiac arrest. (Wasn't taken till about the 25th pick or something?) And that I clearly and absolutely remember...

** - and consequent reduction in bottom line $$$ he'd be offered
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am

You are absolutely correct about Baby Quinn. Looks as if he should have went even lower. LOL.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
You are absolutely correct about Baby Quinn. Looks as if he should have went even lower. LOL.

yes but as much I despised him and his coach and his university there was a point, probably around pick 9 when Miami took Ted Ginn Jr., that the inner human compassion in me kicked in and I started to feel bad. Not just for him but for the entire situation. Seeing someone that uncomfortable and embarrassed is just wrong if he really didn't do anything that bad to deserve it.

Maybe if he was a convicted felon waiting for sentencing or something like that then I wouldn't have felt bad but we are talking about a kid who plays football.

Then when Leon Hall got picked before him (no disrespect to Leon, I love the guy) I really started to wonder if he was ever going to get picked.

It kind of ruined the draft for me because for the 2 hours or so between pick 5 and pick 22 it was all about "how bad can we make Brady look" and I didn't like that.

In hindsight, the look on his face after every passing pick is priceless.

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 pm

If I was him, I would have left. Went back to my hotel and started drinking. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:27 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
If I was him, I would have left. Went back to my hotel and started drinking. Seriously.

well if I remember correctly, Quinn left the floor and went back into the waiting room with the rest of the players because it was getting ridiculous.

I remember one the best things I saw that draft was Joe Thomas, the OL from Wisconsin, got picked #3 and when he got picked he wasn't there. He was fishing with his dad.

Joe Thomas from UW and Levi Brown from PSU went #3 and #5 respectively and they weren't even the best OL in college that year. Jake was and he proved it the next year by going #1 overall. Still a sour point I like to bring up with my wisconsin buddies.

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
... the inner human compassion in me kicked in and I started to feel bad. Not just for him but for the entire situation. Seeing someone that uncomfortable and embarrassed is just wrong if he really didn't do anything that bad to deserve it.

Not sure where you're coming from on this one, Sandy. Discomfort? Embarassment? The only way I can rationalize his nervous fidgeting, which became desperation, which in turn became downright (or almost) despondency, would be his harboring a prefatory attitude along the lines of "I'm a top-5 pick and that's the name of that tune. I must be no later/lower than the 4th or 5th man selected."

And how presumptious is that, I should like to ask???
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 pm

michmike wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:
... the inner human compassion in me kicked in and I started to feel bad. Not just for him but for the entire situation. Seeing someone that uncomfortable and embarrassed is just wrong if he really didn't do anything that bad to deserve it.

Not sure where you're coming from on this one, Sandy. Discomfort? Embarassment? The only way I can rationalize his nervous fidgeting, which became desperation, which in turn became downright (or almost) despondency, would be his harboring a prefatory attitude along the lines of "I'm a top-5 pick and that's the name of that tune. I must be no later/lower than the 4th or 5th man selected."

And how presumptious is that, I should like to ask???

I guess the point I was trying to get across was that there came a point when the cameras were constantly panning back to him for the sole purpose of hoping to catch him breaking down and that ruined the draft for me. And even though his attitude leading up the draft and his lack of humbleness really exacerbated the fact that he wasn't getting picked I could sympathize with his situation. Ok we get it, he was wrong, he's learning a lesson, he's being humiliated, ha ha he's getting what he deserved, yada yada, but get on with it.

I guess I should have explained how the NFL draft is probably a top 3 sporting event that I look forward to every year. I spend a lot of time doing research and analyzing the picks. I watch the combine, I put my draft board together, I try and outdo Kiper and McShay, etc. And to have that whole draft be about Quinn and his humility ruined it for me.

I just wanted to see it come to end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.   10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong. Empty

Back to top Go down

10 times the Heisman voters got it wrong.
Page 1 of 1