Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Johnny Football

Go down 
+2
Wolverdog
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Good call, the Heisman got it right.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Best player in college football? I dunno about that.

Player with the most press in the last month or so? Yup.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 pm

I watched the announcement just because I was scared to death that Te'o would win. I'm relieved that Johhny Football won but at the same time could that be more SEC bias? A & M is in the SEC now...

Can't win for losing...
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 am

Wolverdog wrote:

So who was the best?

Manziel's numbers are just as good as Tebow's and Newton's were.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:

Hmmmmm....

Re: If Te'o wins the Heisman, I quit.
by fishgoblue22 on Tue 4 Dec 2012 - 12:36

He deserves it. Best player on #1 team.

Gino Terretta, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke. I could go on.

Te'o deserves it.

I think most UM fans don't want to see him get it, because then CW wouldn't be the only D player to get it.

It's been 4 days. Did I miss something?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 am

WillieMfan wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

Hmmmmm....

Re: If Te'o wins the Heisman, I quit.
by fishgoblue22 on Tue 4 Dec 2012 - 12:36

He deserves it. Best player on #1 team.

Gino Terretta, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke. I could go on.

Te'o deserves it.

I think most UM fans don't want to see him get it, because then CW wouldn't be the only D player to get it.

It's been 4 days. Did I miss something?

Changed my mind. LOL
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
Wolverdog wrote:

So who was the best?

Manziel's numbers are just as good as Tebow's and Newton's were.

Geno Smith, Montee Ball, (gulp) Teo. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:18 pm

I think they got it right of the three that wer in NY. All three were deserving. Thought the WR from USC should have been there as well.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 pm

It's really sad that the Heisman has never had specific guidelines for voting. (they have guidelines that are so vague that no one follows.)

It basically comes down to this stupid media love of a nickname, "Johnny Football." yay.

There are so many other players who are more important to their teams. It's sad that this trophy is still limited to QBs and RBs in 2012.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I wish they would show the voting break down by former winners.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Some of you still want to knock Johnny. I have yet to see anyone make a convincing argument for someone other than Johnny to win it. Anyone can throw out names.

When people were talking about Teo, I pointed out that Shazier had better numbers in every category except interceptions. Yet people are here today still mentioning his name. I got news for you if he wasn't on ND he probably would not even be in NY.

Yes QB's and RB's have an edge to winning the Heisman. In this day and age of offenses their the one's that put up the guady numbers. It is what it is. The last two winners to get the trophy that were not RB or QB I believe were Desmond and Charles. I am ok with that. Very Happy

Johnny's numbers hold up against any of the recent winners. I don't see the problem here.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I couldn't of said it any better myself willie.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 3:53 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
It's really sad that the Heisman has never had specific guidelines for voting. (they have guidelines that are so vague that no one follows.)

It basically comes down to this stupid media love of a nickname, "Johnny Football." yay.

There are so many other players who are more important to their teams. It's sad that this trophy is still limited to QBs and RBs in 2012.

I must say that I agree (mostly) with your statement as I wanted that kid to win. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I didn't want T'eo to win it. Unfortuntely 'fish quoted Willie and forced me to see his drivel. I WASN'T EVEN A UM FAN WHEN WOODSON WON THE HEISMAN. T'eo just didn't deserve it, plain and simple. Johnny "Football" did deserve it, he put up the stats, led his team which was picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC to a 9th place finish in the BCS, and touched the ball on every offensive play (barring punts, fg's, injuries, and I'm not sure if A & M runs an occassional "wildcat"). How many plays were there when T'eo wasn't even in on a tackle?

The Heisman ballot is very vague but it reads "Pick the most outstanding plyer in college football". T'eo was not it, he may have been the most outstanding Senior in college football but are Freshmen, Sophomore's, and Junior's ineligible? I really don't think the nickname had much to do with it, don't forget, Johnny won 5 of the 6 regions for Heisman voting. The one that he lost (the Midwest- the region that Notre Dame is in), T'eo only won by 3 votes. If anything other than the fact that Johnny "Football" was the most outstanding player in college football was a factor I'd say the SEC bias might have played a little, not a nickname. I also think the the nickname stems from the fact that Manziel isn't the most attractive name out there.

Incidentally, here is a short article but it actually raises an interesting point. I'm not sure that I agree with it but it can still opn some debate...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/12/09/winning-heisman-trophy-winner-manziel-punished-by-ncaa-and-nfl/

(This is what happens when you let a MBA write about sports. Incidentally, he is a republican and has no clue (I'm not saying that all republican's have no clue but he is following right along with the party line).
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Names, numbers, you can throw them all out. All that really matters is PRESS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Johnny Football  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johnny Football    Johnny Football  Empty

Back to top Go down

Johnny Football
Page 1 of 1