Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read

Go down 
+4
fishgoblue22
sandyeggo_blue
michmike
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read Empty
PostSubject: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 pm

http://deadspin.com/5967649/how-maurice-clarett-lost-his-way-bombed-out-of-the-nfl-planned-a-murder-missed-an-exit-and-found-himself-and-warren-buffett-in-prison

michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Admin, I address the following excerpt from that lame excuse for a self-serving sob (or s.o.b.) story:

"I don't want people to say ‘Don't be like Maurice Clarett,'" he says. "In fact, I want the opposite. I want people to see me now and say they want to be like me. And I'm working every day to earn that."

So I deduce what I should say---were I much closer to your (Addy's) age and a new parent---to my young son is something to the effect of: "Forget the laws of society as you grow. Earn yourself a sentence in prison, where you can learn to clean up(?) your act, educate yourself, and maybe you'll grow up to be an upstanding citizen like M.C."

Err?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:14 pm

three cars, including a brand new cadillac and lexus....

Jim Tressel you a f*cking liar when you say you didn't know what was going on with Maurice while he was there.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 pm

michmike wrote:
Admin, I address the following excerpt from that lame excuse for a self-serving sob (or s.o.b.) story:

"I don't want people to say ‘Don't be like Maurice Clarett,'" he says. "In fact, I want the opposite. I want people to see me now and say they want to be like me. And I'm working every day to earn that."

So I deduce what I should say---were I much closer to your (Addy's) age and a new parent---to my young son is something to the effect of: "Forget the laws of society as you grow. Earn yourself a sentence in prison, where you can learn to clean up(?) your act, educate yourself, and maybe you'll grow up to be an upstanding citizen like M.C."

Err?

Sound advice in today's world, sir! Evil or Very Mad

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
three cars, including a brand new cadillac and lexus....

Jim Tressel you a f*cking liar when you say you didn't know what was going on with Maurice while he was there.

Bingo.

sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 pm

michmike wrote:

Err?

michmike, I'm not so sure that MC is saying, break the rules, do time in the pen, clean your act up and try to be a role model. What I imagine the point MC is trying to get across is, everyone can change for the better if you work hard and strive to be a better person (or something along those lines).

articles like these hit home for me because beginning around my young adult age I've worked hard to be like my dad and let's just say, before I was born and even early in my younger years my dad was no model citizen. Drugs, Jail, Gangs, etc. I think because of that I pick out a different message that you did from MCs story.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:36 pm

michmike wrote:

Err?

I am so sick of the story of professional athletes or anyone really, doing time, doing drugs, being in a gang: Then they turn around their life. blah blah blah. No one ever credits the guy/gal that doesn't do the bad things ever, and just lives a good life.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 pm

RE: recent above thread additions by Sandy and Fish. Taken together, though on the surface conflicting, the two viewpoionts epitomize my conviction on the overall topic perfectly.

It's the people like Sandy who---despite a very counterproductive environment in their formative years, learn from the mistakes of those around them (i.e., his father) and become good, upstanding citizens and human beings without committing crimes---should be praised in the media, not felons who [allegedly] clean up their acts after forced into incarceration---and in many cases, likely see their "cleaned-up-my-act" songs and dances as little more than good medicine to administer to the parole board. If anyone doubts the latter assertion, have a quick look at recidivism rates across the nation...

Do I disagree with the practice of (within reason...e.g., excluding the Tim McVeighs and Ted Bundies of the world) giving second chances? Of course not; human beings are after all imperfect creatures. It's the glorification, the aggrandizement, heaped on so many of those who make good on their second (or third, etc.) chances, based solely on athletic, entertainment or misc. reputations that gets under my skin.

Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

michmike, I'm not so sure that MC is saying, break the rules, do time in the pen, clean your act up and try to be a role model. What I imagine the point MC is trying to get across is, everyone can change for the better if you work hard and strive to be a better person (or something along those lines).

articles like these hit home for me because beginning around my young adult age I've worked hard to be like my dad and let's just say, before I was born and even early in my younger years my dad was no model citizen. Drugs, Jail, Gangs, etc. I think because of that I pick out a different message that you did from MCs story.

while i can appreciate people being turned off by the poor athlete playing the "woe is me," card, after reading that article, I think he has come off more genuine than others.

I don't have much sympathy for the former punk because if he planned to kill someone, i'm not sure you can ever truly become a good person, but in his defense, he has nothing left. In other words, trying to become a good person is all that's there and i give him props for that. I think the best thing a person can do in his position, is try to steer troubled youth in the right direction.

to fish's comments -obviously most people with any sense wouldn't need Clarett's guidance and wisdom, but maybe he can change a few bad apples. time will tell if he's really an upstanding citizen.

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:12 pm

michmike wrote:
RE: recent above thread additions by Sandy and Fish. Taken together, though on the surface conflicting, the two viewpoionts epitomize my conviction on the overall topic perfectly.

It's the people like Sandy who---despite a very counterproductive environment in their formative years, learn from the mistakes of those around them (i.e., his father) and become good, upstanding citizens and human beings without committing crimes---should be praised in the media, not felons who [allegedly] clean up their acts after forced into incarceration---and in many cases, likely see their "cleaned-up-my-act" songs and dances as little more than good medicine to administer to the parole board. If anyone doubts the latter assertion, have a quick look at recidivism rates across the nation...

Do I disagree with the practice of (within reason...e.g., excluding the Tim McVeighs and Ted Bundies of the world) giving second chances? Of course not; human beings are after all imperfect creatures. It's the glorification, the aggrandizement, heaped on so many of those who make good on their second (or third, etc.) chances, based solely on athletic, entertainment or misc. reputations that gets under my skin.

Extremely well put mike.

And for the record my intent is never to undermine anyone's differing view or opinion. Being a forum, my intent is to put my thoughts and opinions out there and sometimes my personal experiences give my views a different flavor. Whatever we feel for MC now, we can all agree we hated him while he was at O$U.

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm

You make some well-taken points, 93. But whilst my own teen years are decades behind, I do retain some shreds of memory of my feelings toward life, society, etc. during those impressionable (and in many ways, difficult) years.

And whenever I hear of some "reformed angel" preaching to youth, to (essentially) the tune of "Learn from my mistakes---don't walk the walk I did," the question invariably and immediately comes to my mind:

"And you expect them to listen?????"

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:18 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
...Whatever we feel for MC now, we can all agree we hated him while he was at O$U.

Now there's a statement that says it all !!!!!

Rhetoric aside (and I should like to say, I've enjoyed reading all of everyone's comments above)...
let me conclude by saying that, despite my apathy towards him, I do believe it would be a very,
very good---and commendable--thing if Mr. (title used loosely) Clarett were to continue on his path on the straight and narrow...
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

michmike wrote:
You make some well-taken points, 93. But whilst my own teen years are decades behind, I do retain some shreds of memory of my feelings toward life, society, etc. during those impressionable (and in many ways, difficult) years.

And whenever I hear of some "reformed angel" preaching to youth, to (essentially) the tune of "Learn from my mistakes---don't walk the walk I did," the question invariably and immediately comes to my mind:

"And you expect them to listen?????"

that absolutely is a great point. i wouldn't send a troubled kid to a Maurice Clarett or a Ray Lewis motivational seminar. no thanks to this "negative reinforcement."

on second thought maybe Clarett shouldn't be trying to help juveniles. Maybe he should just focus on a career and his family. Maybe Ray Lewis, an accomplice to murder, should not be preaching in a church either.

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 am

mgoblue93 wrote:
...Maybe Ray Lewis, an accomplice to murder, should not be preaching in a church either.

I was very, very strongly tempted to respond, 93, but---given the nature of the ahem, subject matter, I'd likely offend more minds than I'd stimulate. So, no comment.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:53 pm

michmike wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:
...Maybe Ray Lewis, an accomplice to murder, should not be preaching in a church either.

I was very, very strongly tempted to respond, 93, but---given the nature of the ahem, subject matter, I'd likely offend more minds than I'd stimulate. So, no comment.

come on michmike, this isn't mlive. this forum is great because, for the most part, we can discuss anything in a constructive and respectful matter. don't hold back bom
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Respectfully declined...
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Looking at thisin a new light.

I had never thought that if these guys were so great wouldn't an impressionable young man think,

"I can get away with anything I want and turn it around later in life and I'm good!"?

I had never looked at it like that until 2 minutes ago. I'd always looked at it like they want you to look at it. "Bad guy makes good!"

Not that it changes the way i may or may not think or not think. (did I cover EVERY base there? lol)

I really like to be one that looks at both sides of an issue. That's one thing good I learned from way too many years in corporate America.

DerekVineyardsCurbStomp

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

One part of the story that jumped out to me, was MC was 1 U-turn away from first degree murder. No telling what he would have done on a half bottle of Grey Goose.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I thought he DID drink 1/2 a bottle. He stil had 1/2 left right?

I guess I took that to mean he drank half of it?????

DerekVineyardsCurbStomp

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I thought he DID drink 1/2 a bottle. He stil had 1/2 left right?

I guess I took that to mean he drank half of it?????

The wording of the story is that he was driving around drinking the GG. So, I assume he was beyond lit!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 am

I know little to nothing about vodka. Is Grey Goose expensive or is it thecheap stuff?

DerekVineyardsCurbStomp

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I know little to nothing about vodka. Is Grey Goose expensive or is it thecheap stuff?

I don't drink vodka either, but I'm pretty sure is the good stuff from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 am

Grey Goose is top shelf, but not real expensive.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Not to turn this into a topic of alcohol but my favorite vodka is stolichnaya (Stoly). they have a lot of flavored types that my wife enjoys as well. Either way, no good is going to come of drinking a half bottle of any type of vodka while driving around like MC did, top shelf of not.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 pm

My Dad, who thankjfully is out of the hospital now after a couple days of immense concern, has returned to his home. The reason that he cannot walk, has no memory, or rational thought processes is that after he retired he drank a bottle of "cheap" vodka a day. Occassionally on days when he wanted to blow a lot of money ($20, LOL) he'd get a jug of Stoli (there's my salute to 'eggo). Anyway, the vodka basically ate away at his brain so no, drinking that much vodka isn't good for you. It was not good.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read   OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Maurice Clarett - a must read
Page 1 of 1