Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? Empty
PostSubject: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1661989-michigan-football-the-wolverines-are-on-schedule-with-coach-brady-hoke?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=michigan-wolverines-football

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Is he ahead, on schedule or behind going into his third year? Well I guess the answer is relevant to each of our own opinions because I never once heard Hoke or Michigan come out with a timeline and milestones. So for me, after taking a step back and digesting this a bit I say all three...

1) Recruiting: Years Ahead - His first year Hoke brought a top 10 class which by all accounts was amazing because of a complete coaching and scheme transition. His second year we had the #2 class which I wouldn't have expected until after a B1G championship, a Rose Bowl win or a legit NC title run somewhere in between. This year we can legitimately expect to have the #1 class pending on how things shake out of course.

2) Player Developement: Ahead - The single greatest move Hoke made other than taking the Michigan job was to hire the right coordinators. I think it says a lot when a staff can develop kids into draft picks that were otherwise on a path to failure under the previous staff. I know a lot of that falls on the position coaches and not solely on Hoke himself but he certainly should get credit for hiring them. Hoke knows there is truth in the saying "you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with."

3) Wins: On schedule - His first year we won 11. Last year we won eight but I still say we should have won at least 10. I know... shoulda, woulda, coulda right? Well had we won two more games last year we could have seen another BCS Bowl even if it weren't the Rose Bowl. I have to think back but if I recall, I think at the time of the hire, I would have been good with a 9 win season, followed by a 9 win season, followed by a 10+ win season with a B1G championship run. So for now I've got him as on schedule. We'll see after this year.

4) Rivalry Wins: Behind - I'm gonna throw this in there because for me a rivalry win is so much more different than a regular win. We've had six rivalry games since Hoke has been here (MSU, ND and O$U twice). I would preferred we at least had a winning record in the rivalry games so at this point I'm going with being behind.

5) B1G Championship: On Schedule - See my comments above about expecting a B1G championship by his third year.

6) Rose Bowl: On Schedule - Again, see my comments above about a B1G championship. Can't get to the Rose Bowl without winning the conference.

Last edited by sandyeggo_blue on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

I disagree with #4, while Coach Hoke is 3-3 in the actual rivalry games and of course I'd like him to be 6-0, 3-3 is a winning record (even though it is ttechnically 500). He hasn't lost more than he's won. Of course if Michigan doesn't win all 3 rivalry games this year I'll begin to be concerned.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

5) B1G Championship: On Schedule - See my comments above about expecting a B1G championship by his third year.

GOD, I hope so. It kills me that we haven't won a conference championship since 2004. Nine years...that's the longest period of time Michigan has gone without a B1G title since the 1950's. I remember in the mid-90's when we went 4 years between championships (1993-96) and that felt like a decade. This current drought feels like an eternity.

I know certain factors came into place like Tressel's cheating OSU teams, RichRod, and a couple near-misses but at the end of the day, it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
I disagree with #4, while Coach Hoke is 3-3 in the actual rivalry games and of course I'd like him to be 6-0, 3-3 is a winning record (even though it is technically 500). He hasn't lost more than he's won. Of course if Michigan doesn't win all 3 rivalry games this year I'll begin to be concerned.

Indeed. Two seasons is kind of early to judge. He's 3-0 against rivals at home, 0-3 on the road. Not bad since he did that with RichRod's players.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
I disagree with #4, while Coach Hoke is 3-3 in the actual rivalry games and of course I'd like him to be 6-0, 3-3 is a winning record (even though it is ttechnically 500). He hasn't lost more than he's won. Of course if Michigan doesn't win all 3 rivalry games this year I'll begin to be concerned.

Again, I said it's relative to what each person thinks. I thought that he should have gone at least 4-2 at this point. He's hasn't therefor I put him behind in that category. But you are right about us winning all three this year because I fully expect us to.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 am

Don't know about HIS plan but he is right on schedule with my plan. He's reunited the fan base including the "through thick and thinners" and those who have a somewhat more conditional loyalty, and that was critical.

He's assembled a great staff (thank you Dave Brandon for increasing the budget to make that possible and to Brady for choosing wisely).

He's building a nice corps of talent and he's shown an ability to be a field leader using his own style and not trying to emulate anyone else's style.

The future looks bright.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:59 am

As a recruiter he has far exceeded my expectations. As a coach, I still have my doubts.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am

I thin Brady is both like and unlike Lloyd Carr in some important ways.

1) Like Carr I believe he is more emotional leader than tactician, a strong motivator.

Both seem to be (to have been) good fits at Michigan but probably would never have secured a top job almost anywhere else. Brady was eliminated from consideration by Indiana of all places after he was already in his 50's. I could never imagine a Texas A & M for instance going after Lloyd in his prime the way they did after Bo.

2) Unlike Lloyd though I think Brady has the courage to take chances and I don't think we'll play not to lose to the extent Lloyd often seemed to.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?   So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan? Empty

Back to top Go down

So is Coach Hoke ahead, behind, or on time with his Michigan plan?
Page 1 of 1