Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College

Go down 
+4
fishgoblue22
EJinGA
wshoes
BetterThansparty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College Empty
PostSubject: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 pm

What do people think?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1787978-jim-delany-suggests-athletes-should-have-opportunity-to-skip-college?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=recruiting

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree. If a team will sign them they should be allowed to go but then I never understood How Clarett lost his suit. If a kid doesn't want to be in college then he shouldn't be. I prefer letting the basketball players go straight from high school as well, I do not like the whole one and done thing.

But if you commit then it should be a minimum 2 or 3 year commitment on both sides the school and the player.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Mo'C was too stupid to remain eligible. The NFL says that someone needs to be 3 years removed from High School for safety reasons. Think about some 18-20 year-old punk against a 27 yea old man who is much larger than him. Yea, it wouldn't be fair. What I think might work is do it like baseball (and Hockey, hi dwoody), allow players to be drafted while in college. That won't fix the money issue but it's a start.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 am

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Mo'C was too stupid to remain eligible.  The NFL says that someone needs to be 3 years removed from High School for safety reasons.  Think about some 18-20 year-old punk against a 27 yea old man who is much larger than him.  Yea, it wouldn't be fair.  What I think might work is do it like baseball (and Hockey, hi dwoody), allow players to be drafted while in college.  That won't fix the money issue but it's a start.
In football I don't think it would work. You're right, they're not mature enough phyically to play in the NFL. Hockey and Baseball both have minor league systems, but you have to wonder if that would work for football?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 am

I agree with the physical maturity issues as a general rule, but is it the League's job to paternalistically decree that no one can go? There are always exceptions. Lebron James had the physical maturity of a 25 year old coming out of High School. A football example was probably Hershel Walker.

My issue is that you have guys who have no desire to be in college, no interest in going to classes, who are just doing the minimum to stay eligible. Why should college be the farm system? It is this group that makes the creates the atmosphere for a whole myriad of violations.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:55 am

should proofread before posting- eliminate makes.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:50 am

Let them try. If no one drafts them, oh well. They make decisions that impact the rest of their lives. Maybe create a minor league or developmental league. But they should not be forced to go to college.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

No one is forcing them to go to college. There are semi-pro leagues all over.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
No one is forcing them to go to college.  There are semi-pro leagues all over.
Please provide me a list of players in the NFL from semi-pro leagues. I'll wait for your response.

I don't think the NFL would draft a kid right out of HS, but they should be able to if they want to.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 1:41 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Please provide me a list of players in the NFL from semi-pro leagues.  I'll wait for your response.

I don't think the NFL would draft a kid right out of HS, but they should be able to if they want to.
I think it would ruin football. College football wouldnt be nearly as exciting because half the good recruits would be going pro, and NFL would have a slew of big contract long term project players who are not mature enough to handle the phyiscal NFL.

Lets look at Derrick Green. As a recruit, he might look good to NFL scouts and could be a top 3 round pick. He has not shown much playing in college against lesser teams, how could he handle the NFL? He'd ride the bench, get paid millions to do so, and by the time he was ready to contribute, his rookie contract would be over.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:01 pm

It's about competition. Was college basketball less exciting because Garnett, Lebron or Kobe didn't play? You can argue that but did anyone notice? What would have been their college years were filled with exciting competitive, games and attendance and ratings were great.

Guys who are students in name only, and purely serving their time before they take their shot at the pros, are guys I can do without.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Please provide me a list of players in the NFL from semi-pro leagues.  I'll wait for your response.

Antonio Gates. Game, set, match.... It can happen.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 4:06 pm

wshoes wrote:
I agree. If a team will sign them they should be allowed to go but then I never understood How Clarett lost his suit. If a kid doesn't want to be in college then he shouldn't be. I prefer letting the basketball players go straight from high school as well, I do not like the whole one and done thing.

But if you commit then it should be a minimum 2 or 3 year commitment on both sides the school and the player.

'shoes
well said. this is actually one of the better ideas ive heard in a while. let the agents "fund" them...most will be running back to college.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
2ndComingOfBo wrote:

not now they aren't but the landscape is changing. delaney's idea is a possibility. i could see the NFL drafting a player like Hand or Clowney out of HS, and letting them develop in these camps and S&C programs -provided by agents, apparently. Im not sure how they'd turnout compared to college players w/experience, but Im sure a few would do fine. Most would likely go the traditional college route though -so while changing the rules might not have as big an impact as we think.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Most kids who have an athletic gift think that they will be the next All-pro. Going to college first (normally) helps some maturity set in. I don't think that was the goal by the NFL when implementing this rule (physical development was) but that is definitely a positive. Now when someone's career flames out they at least have some education to fall back on (even if they did not graduate with a Bachelors in General Studies).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 5:45 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
2ndComingOfBo wrote:

Antonio Gates.  Game, set, match....  It can happen.
I know you hate being wrong, but.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gates
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 pm

He didn't play football in college. He did play semi-pro in his off-season. Try again...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:28 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
He didn't play football in college.  He did play semi-pro in his off-season.  Try again...
I didn't think Gates played semi pro ball at all. I saw a TV interview here in San Diego once where he said he didn't play organized football from the time he was in high school until the time he was with the Chargers. Besides, wouldn't playing for a semi pro team make him ineligible in the NCAA?

I do understand how you can make an argument that "essentially" he came to the NFL out of high school. Albeit 3 years later, after his NCAA basketball career was over.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Ok, I guess he didn't play semi-pro.  He didn't play any organized football.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:24 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Just admit you are wrong.  The thread wasn't about whether a guy played college football, but whether they went to college.  You were wrong.  No caveats about not playing in college.  It's ok to be wrong every now and then.  It is a good sign when you can admit it and move on.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:58 pm

I never said that Gates didn't got to college, I said that he didn't play football in college. He played basketball...

What I was mistaken about was him playing semi-pro football during college (in addition to basketball).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 6:39 am

In any case it is a short list. Wasn't there a big D-lineman who didn't go to college? Luis something. Way, way back, I believe that Big Daddy Gene Lipscomb played in the NFL without college.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:19 pm

"right out of high school" now means "3 years in between".

makes perfect sense.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 1:58 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Just admit you are wrong.  The thread wasn't about whether a guy played college football, but whether they went to college.  You were wrong.  No caveats about not playing in college.  It's ok to be wrong every now and then.  It is a good sign when you can admit it and move on.
Nope, it was about playing football in college. It is almost common knowledge that Gates played basketball in college. Why would I say that he didn't go to college? I did incorrectly state that Gates played semi-pro, he did not. That was an incorrect statement on my part. Delaney is saying that kids who want to play football shouldn't be "forced" to go to college for three years. I'm not sure why he is bitching? That would only hurt his product.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:06 pm

The whole idea behind not being able to go from HS to the NFL is because at 18-19 the body is not nearly developed enough to compete with 25-30 year old men. Since Gates played college basketball for three years, he did not fall into that category. How dumb is this 2nd guy?

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I never should have read your post 'hail. 'fish and I were talking about anyone who has ever went to the NFL without playing Football in college. Seriously, yoopers be dumb...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:51 pm

You two are cute when you bicker!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College   Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College Empty

Back to top Go down

Jim Delany Suggests Athletes Should Have Opportunity to Skip College
Page 1 of 1