Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The NEW way of doing things.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

The NEW way of doing things. Empty
PostSubject: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I follow Sam Webb on twitter to hear about any recruits.

He retweeted this from a Michigan recruit. I read through the responses and kinda shook my head.

https://twitter.com/quick_tg6/status/443117051251417088

Look. I want the kid to play for Michigan if hes good. But I'm not going to PLEAD WITH HIM ON TWITTER to come to Michigan.

So, questions.

What on earth did we ever do before Twitter?

Isn't it a little over the top to tweet a recruit beseeching him to come to your school?

But then, what should the kid expect when he tweets something like that? Do you think he was just trying to "tell his homeys" and a lot of outsiders responded? Or is getting adulation from people more important to him?

I'll tell you, I was conflicted reading it because I originally thought all the responders were out of line. But then I thought the kid might have asked for it. Then I thought maybe the kid didn't realize the ramifications of social media.

So now I don't know what to think.

Is is ok for kids to "boast" about their offers or their lists on twitter? If it is then is it ok for people to inundate his twitter account with crap begging him to come to their school?

I'm old. I'm conservative. With that being said I am fairly computer and technology literate. BUT I can't stand Facebook. I don't want to know about your cat or your dinner last night or your dreams you had. Tell them to your BFF. Twitter is similar.

Ahhhhhh, I'm off the soapbox. What do y'all think?

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:09 pm

joe wrote:
...What on earth did we ever do before Twitter?...

SMU bought recruits cars. OU bought moms trailers

joe wrote:
...Is is ok for kids to "boast" about their offers or their lists on twitter? If it is then is it ok for people to inundate his twitter account with crap begging him to come to their school?...

IMO yes and yes

joe wrote:
...I don't want to know about your cat...

I don't have a cat but I still get where you're going.

Following the happenings around the Michigan programs is a definite hobby of mine. It's up there with surfing, backpacking and hunting. I like the fact that the information is readily available as long as you know where to look for it.

I'm a software engineer and I don't have a facebook or twitter account. the only social networking I do is on this forum with LIKE MINDED individuals. Mine is more of a direct TCP packet rather than a broadcast UDP.  Wink 

booboo

PostSubject: Re: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Joe, we're close in age so we had pay phones, typewriters, we had ABC, NBC, CBS TV. Here in metro Detroit where I grew up had channels 50, 56, 62 & channel 9-CBC. NO internet, NO cable. Yea we're old, that's what my nieces/nephews tell me once in a while.

Back to twitter, I have tweeted 5397 times. Yes I've tweeted about my dreams, my vacations, what I'm having for dinner, got in pissing contests with sparty fans. I'll tweet a lot about M FB or BB. If I'm at a game I'll take a picture tweet it with a caption. Yes, I'm addicted to twitter, guilty as charged!!!

I work in HS athletics, its funny after a 2 hour BB basketball practice, the kids rush right to their phones check twitter, check for messages, its liked OMG I wasn't in contact with the world for 2 hours, OMG what did I miss!!!!!!! When I played HS BB, kinda remember we'd sit around after practice bullshitting about who know what, a little team bonding for 5-10 mins.

To answer one of your questions, yes if you go on twitter & tweet about your college visits, what schools you're considering or what school you chose, in a matter of minutes thousands of people can read it. And yes there are a$$holes out there that will respond to the kid I hope you break a leg, break your neck. I have read about where adults have tweeted death threats to a kid for picking a certain school.

I go to the pre-season dinners/meetings coaches have with players & parents of each sport. In the last yr. the coaches are now spending 5-10 minutes talking about twitter and social media. As smart as the kids are, sometimes they don't think before hitting send. Here's an example, a kid on our boys BB team didn't like how little playing time he was getting, so tweeted something to the effect the dumb ass N coach don't know how to coach. Of course it got back to AD & coach, kid suspended from team for 2 weeks.

I follow a lot of people associated with M athletics, so if any news about recruits, any breaking news, or just general news about M, I can read about it.

Also follow @coachcussmeir, @hadybroke 2 parody accounts for some laughs, follow the real Coach Nussmeier @CoachDNuss @theblockm @umichband @MGoFeed to name a few
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Quote :
, BUT I can't stand Facebook.

Friend me?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 am

Lol. I was thinking about shutting down my facebook page but I'm not sure you can.

PostSubject: Re: The NEW way of doing things.   The NEW way of doing things. Empty

Back to top Go down

The NEW way of doing things.
Page 1 of 1