Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Opening Day

Go down 
+3
hailtoyourvictor
wshoes
fishgoblue22
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't care how anyone comes up with projections. You do realize they play the games for a reason right? They come up with projections to get numbers geeks to subscribe to their page so they can sell advertisement.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:34 pm

So you think your guesses are better than their formulas? lol....

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Fish, want to make a bet? I bet the Tigers had more Extra Base Hits last season (2B + 3B + HR) than they do this season.

Fish, want to make a bet? I bet the Tigers had more wins last season than they get this season.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 pm

There is a reason that people like Billy Beane and Bill James are so highly revered in the baseball world. The stats aren't just things they make up, fish. There is a reason that so many MLB front offices and General Managers are using advanced stats. It isn't some made up mumbo-jumbo like you are leading it to be.

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm

A 10-1 win is a waste of eight runs. Wins are all that count. I don't care how many runs my team scores if they are not winning games.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Why do you guys even bother to argue with stat boy, he just fill his arguments with #####. it is a waste of time. Just go yelp and leave it. He's never wrong and knows way more than any other poster here. You'll never settle that one part of the game is more important than the other or that because of defense you can score fewer runs.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 pm

the artist, I've never said those any of those last few things so let's not put words in my mouth. We can discuss the trade off of better defense / worse offense. I'd like to have that discussion. We can't have the discussion though, when people refuse to admit that our offense should be worse based on past performance of our current players and future trends of thousands of players in the past.

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 am

okĀ  Hail lets say you starter throws 20 less pitches because of better defense that might get him into the 7th instead of being lifted in the 6th. Therefore your bullpen gets to better pitching. Depth wise I think the tigers are better, more speed in the out field means fewer hits, Raji is way faster than Dirks, And the left side of the infield is better defensively . Trade off in HR is the only real issue here, @ home is that going to amount to that many, you also got to take in to account the extra base hits, and not playing station to station baseball.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 am

Left side is better if we get Iglesias back. SS still is the key. A 37 year old who hasn't played much in 2 years is unlikely to have much range.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

As fast as Rajai Davis is, he is still a surprisingly bad defender. Also, the Iglesias injury really, really hurt.

The artist, I am not dooming the Tigers. I said I think they are plenty good to win the division. I just think the team is worse than it was last year and I'm not alone in that thinking. The Tigers won 93 games last year and I just don't see them reaching that number this year.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

He reminds me of the fast outfielder that came up to fill in for Jackson a couple years back and was released during spring last year. Fast, but took horrible angles and couldn't read the ball off the bat.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Quinton Berry. Good comparison, IMO.

Davis is actually a pretty good hitter against left handed pitchers. I'm really surprised he sat out today in favor of the rookie. I'd love to see Davis at the top of the lineup against left handers. He has as good as anybody in the league at stealing bases, but he's gotta be on base to do so.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Two walk off hit wins for the Tigers to start the season, both my newcomers. What a great start.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 4:46 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Quinton Berry. Good comparison, IMO.

Davis is actually a pretty good hitter against left handed pitchers. I'm really surprised he sat out today in favor of the rookie. I'd love to see Davis at the top of the lineup against left handers. He has as good as anybody in the league at stealing bases, but he's gotta be on base to do so.

Berry, yeah that's him. Davis is a better hitter, I was only comparing defensively.

Two walk off wins. I like Kinsler in the lead off spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Opening Day   OT:  Opening Day - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Opening Day
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2