Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Something to talk about. OT

Go down 
+2
Admin
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Something to talk about. OT Empty
PostSubject: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 pm

We had a lunch time chili cookoff at work today. I made my nearly world famous chicken chili. Man that stuff was good. Had some venisen chili, steak chili, and one with steak and hamburger. All were pretty good. Now if I could sneak away for a nap, that would be great.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I've never ha venison...don't think the first time will be in chili.

Steak chili sounds damn good right now though.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm

I have no interest in venison. I am a pretty mainstream meat guy myself. I avoid venison, bison, etc. Just give me some cows and chicken and I am good to go.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
I have no interest in venison. I am a pretty mainstream meat guy myself. I avoid venison, bison, etc. Just give me some cows and chicken and I am good to go.

Same.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Agree. FYI, I should not have had that third bowl. I'm feeling it now.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
We had a lunch time chili cookoff at work today. I made my nearly world famous chicken chili. Man that stuff was good. Had some venisen chili, steak chili, and one with steak and hamburger. All were pretty good. Now if I could sneak away for a nap, that would be great.

Sneak away for a NAP?? Or a CRAP?? I mean, man---after sampling all that...!!

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer it made with good old hamburger, tomato sauce (preferably Hormel's seasoned) and kidney beans. And afterward, at least half a box's worth of Gas-X tablets...
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm

michmike wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer it made with good old hamburger, tomato sauce (preferably Hormel's seasoned) and kidney beans. And afterward, at least half a box's worth of Gas-X tablets...

True on the gas-x part. Since I've gotten older especially.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 6:11 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
michmike wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

True on the gas-x part. Since I've gotten older especially.

Speaking of Hormil, I've got the easiest recipe known to man that includes Hormil and ends up in one tasty dip.

Ingredients:

1 can Hormil Chili (not the littlest can, not the big one, I think it's 16-18oz).
1 package of Bob Evans sausage (the oval-ish tube)
1 block of Velveeta cheese

Instructions:

1.) Brown the sausage, drain from grease.

2.) Add can of Hormil and 1/2 the big block of Velveeta cheese.

3.) Stir frequent so the cheese doesn't melt and stick to the pan.

4.) Stir until the cheese is fully melted and is warm to taste.

Boom. That's it. It's about a 15-20 recipe. Open the Tostitos and go to town.

Very simply recipe that gives you an extra tailgating dish, or just something to munch on while you watch from home.

Our family calls it "Hot Dip". It's not hot, though.

I'm sure there's a lot you could add to this recipe to increase the flavor to your liking, but I like to keep it simple. If you want a little spice to it, buy the spicy Bob Evans sausage. It won't be kick-to-the-face spicy, but you'll taste the difference. Also, if you're not a bean fan (like myself), I get the Hormil Chili that has no beans (yes, that's available!!!!).

[Do this in a pot, not a pan. I know the first step will have you automatically thinking pan, but don't do it. Once you add the Hormil and the cheese melts, this recipe can take up some space. You're going to want all the room you can get to constantly stir. Go with the pot.]

exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey fish...I'd like the chicken chili recipe. My daughter is into the diet crap and that is what it tastes like, most of the time. That Hormel recipe looks bad, nothing from the can.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I'll get for you. I have to read it every time.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:22 pm

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
3 (15 ounce) cans white beans
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender. Mix in the garlic, jalapeno, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted.

If you prefer a thicker chili, put another can of beans in the blender and not quite liquefy it, but blend it up and add to the chili.

Also, I prefer to use whole chicken breasts, not boneless, because they seem to hold up better.
Back to top Go down
exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks fish.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am

I went to a Wild Game Poker Party once, and not being a hunter, a co-worker gave me a couple pounds of ground antelope, which he said was really not good eating burger-wise. I made chili with it, and caught some crap from a guy that said it was a wild game party, not a Mexican party. After 3 bowls he said it was the best chili he'd ever had!

I love bison burgers, kinda buttery compared to beef. The local pub has a bleu cheese bison burger topped with onion straws. Yum!

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 am

I've had bison a couple times....not sure if I remember the difference between that a normal burger.

The only coming to mind is that the bison may have been a bit dry? I don't know.

Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 am

Admin wrote:
I've had bison a couple times....not sure if I remember the difference between that a normal burger.

The only coming to mind is that the bison may have been a bit dry? I don't know.

It is definitely leaner than beef, sometimes ground beef or pork is added to boost the fat content so it isn't dry.

PostSubject: Re: Something to talk about. OT   Something to talk about. OT Empty

Back to top Go down

Something to talk about. OT
Page 1 of 1