Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra Empty
PostSubject: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 am

I finally got around to looking through all of the pictures and videos I took while on my annual back packing trip a few months ago. I hiked the High Sierra Trail back in late August. All together, including Mt Whitney, the hike is just shy of 75 miles so I was able to get it done in 6 days. Of course that is nowhere near the longest hike I've ever been on but it was definitely a nice break for a week.

I don't think I'm going to put a video together of the entire hike but I did want to share some pics and video of my favorite part of the trip, my stop at Upper Hamilton Lakes. If you're an experienced hiker you can get there in two days. I actually made it up there by about 3:00 in the afternoon on my second day so I had a lot of time to relax and enjoy the lake.

The scenery was awesome. There is no easy way up to the basin so it is very remote. In fact I think only 5 other people made it up there that night. The water temp was around 64 degrees (according to my watch) so it took some getting used to but it was worth it. The fishing wasn't that great and I only caught four small rainbow trout around 8" or so.

Anyway, here is a video I put together.

By the way, the hike up out of the lake the next morning probably rivals any 3 hour stretch of climbing (not technically but physically) I've ever made. It was tough.

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Eggo-----some kind of great film. Thanks for the video!!!

Go Blue!! Smile

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:19 pm

That video made possible from the use of a selfie-stick. You've earned a new nickname...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 2:20 pm

funny you say that because that camera wasn't mine. the guy who I was hiking with let me use it for the water. I was telling him I was going to catch shit from my buddies if I ever showed them video so it's funny you point that out.

and for the record, I've been called way worse than selfie-guy so I'm fine with it. I'm sure you of all people would know what it's like to earn new nicknames on a daily basis.

Side note, video can never do that place justice. Miles 20 - 30 of HST offers far and away the most epic scenery I've ever hiked. Hiking over the Great Western Divide should be a bucket list item for any one that likes to backpack.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 2:37 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
funny you say that because that camera wasn't mine. the guy who I was hiking with let me use it for the water. I was telling him I was going to catch shit from my buddies if I ever showed them video so it's funny you point that out.

and for the record, I've been called way worse than selfie-guy so I'm fine with it. I'm sure you of all people would know what it's like to earn new nicknames on a daily basis.

Side note, video can never do that place justice. Miles 20 - 30 of HST offers far and away the most epic scenery I've ever hiked. Hiking over the Great Western Divide should be a bucket list item for any one that likes to  backpack.

Hey, I haven't changed my name for a while....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Side note, video can never do that place justice. Miles 20 - 30 of HST offers far and away the most epic scenery I've ever hiked. Hiking over the Great Western Divide should be a bucket list item for any one that likes to  backpack.

Hey, I haven't changed my name for a while....

no I meant the names that other people call you.

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Nice video, eggo. Scenery is spectacular, what I can see! lol

I'm retired to Ecuador and live in the Andes Mountains.....equally spectacular views here, also.

http://www.futura-sciences.com/uploads/tx_oxcsfutura/images/cayambe_02.jpg

Just a small sample of what there is here in Ecuador. This is a pic of Mount Cayambe, the ONLY mountain in the world sitting right on the Ecuator. And yes, that is a glacier on the mountain, the only one on the ecuator. Who would of guessed......I never expected it.

Even though we lost to MSU, we're still having a great year, guys!

Vaya Azul y hasta luego!
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 6:10 pm

south america is definitely next up on my list. I have so many more hikes lined up here in the states that it should keep me busy for another 10 years but after that I definitely want to check out the Andes.

by the way, what's up with your president wanting to fight everyone ha ha

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 6:16 pm

That's pretty awesome sandy
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 7:38 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Those don't count.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:00 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Those don't count.

no, that was the point I was trying to make. you called me selfie-boy and even said it would be a new nickname. I said I've been called worse as I'm sure you are on a daily basis (by others). that's what I meant by names that other people call you.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I said I've been called worse as I'm sure you are on a daily basis (by others).

What are you trying to say?[/quote]
[/quote]

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:43 pm

64 degrees??? Shrinkage!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 pm

my buddy's watch said 62. after a long day of hiking it feels great. I think I only did 12 miles from my previous night's camp but it was a tough 12 miles up over the great western divide. the cold water was just what I needed.

PostSubject: Re: OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra   OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Hamilton Lakes High Sierra
Page 1 of 1