Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NIL and the war of words

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

NIL and the war of words Empty
PostSubject: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words EmptyThu May 19, 2022 9:58 pm

The SEC is at each others throats because cheating can happen above the table now ha ha ha.

Is anyone else watching the shots being fired from Jimbo and Saban?

Jimbo -  (regarding Saban) "He's the greatest ever huh? When you've got all of the advantages it's easy..."

Saban - "We didn't buy one player"

A couple of sandy takes...

1. Jimbo is correct. For years Bama and their boosters have paid players under the table. We all know it. The sad part is that they haven't even tried to hide it because they've been smart enough to skirt just enough around the rules that other universities and the NCAA didn't feel like it was worth the headache of trying to hold them accountable. Saban is just butthurt now because with NIL you can pay kids above the table so Bama doesn't have the dirty bagman advantages that they have enjoyed for the last decade plus. A&M has a $30M NIL fund to help sway recruits and Saban is pissed because he doesn't have that (yet).

IMO, Saban knows he's being hypocritical but he's just trying to get the attention of his boosters.

2. Jimbo Fisher is walking around selling a story that fits the narrative of "clean university" but that's only because he's operating within the realm of the NIL rules and it's working to his advantage.

Jimbo Fisher telling the story that those recruits chose A&M this year because it's a great place to play is a farce. Let's look at the numbers....

2018 - Zero 5 star recruits
2019 - Two
2020 - Two
2021 - One

A&M goes 4-4 in SEC play last year and and then lands SEVEN 5 star recruits and has the greatest recruiting class ever the first year NIL is legal and Jimbo wants us to believe it's because A&M is a great place to play.

It's your story Jimbo, tell it how you want but GO FUCK YOURSELF, because the adults in the room know what's really happening.

I'm not going to lie, I'd like to see more NIL money at MICHIGAN. I think the TB12 brand is a step in the right direction. I don't want to pay kids to play but I'd like to see somewhat of an even playing field. You'd better believe Ohio is looking at this and wising up.

I did find it interesting that the state of ohio just struck down NIL for high school players but I think that only gives columbus an advantage because they will be able to lure those state kids in with money that they were missing out on previously.

the artist formally known likes this post

Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words EmptySun May 22, 2022 5:45 pm

its just as I thought place like Alabama and such don't have pro sports so they get the college stars and use them for their adds and such. while other laces become the have nots Texas is so big they can play a lot of players with the oil money. something is gonna have to be done to cap this or NCAA athletic will be done.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words EmptyMon May 23, 2022 7:58 am

the artist formally known wrote:
its just as I thought place like Alabama and such don't have pro sports so they get the college stars and use them for their adds and such. while other laces become the have nots Texas is so big they can play a lot of players with the oil money. something is gonna have to be done to cap this or NCAA athletic will be done.

Artist, your last 5 words have already happened whether they have said or acknowledged it.

NCAA athletic will be done.
Back to top Go down
NCHawk

NCHawk

PostSubject: Re: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words EmptyFri May 27, 2022 2:49 pm

There are many points of meditation here.

Inducement - It sure smells like the SEC schools are using NIL as an inducement. I think the NCAA will police that about as well as they policed the old pay for play.

Scholarships - you know when a player is getting six figures per year does that player really need a scholly? If not, it frees up the burden on the U and program and makes one more top recruit a possibility. The term walk on might become a tag reserved for elite players.

The Golden Rule - The man with the gold makes the rules. It will be inevitable that some key booster or boosters will want to have a say on who plays and maybe even who gets recruited. And its easy to speculate that they'll have maybe more influence on who's the coach. This may conflict with the coach's interests in many ways.

Separation from NCAA - once this happens, pay for play in on - ITS ON. There is nothing stopping it.

Schools licensing the team identity and getting out of the football business. Now we're at the point where the University just does not want to be involved anymore. Once this happens it will have to happen whole hog - entire conference at a time. TV contracts won't be with the university anymore. Or will they? Now its pro football. I think overtime this is like unlocking the ocean liner from the port. The team will drift from the students and from the alumni and there won't be the same attachment.

sandyeggo_blue and wshoes like this post

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words EmptyFri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm

NCHawk wrote:
There are many points of meditation here.

Inducement - It sure smells like the SEC schools are using NIL as an inducement. I think the NCAA will police that about as well as they policed the old pay for play.

Scholarships - you know when a player is getting six figures per year does that player really need a scholly?  If not, it frees up the burden on the U and program and makes one more top recruit a possibility. The term walk on might become a tag reserved for elite players.

The Golden Rule - The man with the gold makes the rules. It will be inevitable that some key booster or boosters will want to have  a say on who plays and maybe even who gets recruited. And its easy to speculate that they'll have maybe more influence on who's the coach.  This may conflict with the coach's interests in many ways.

Separation from NCAA - once this happens, pay for play in on - ITS ON. There is nothing stopping it.

Schools licensing the team identity and getting out of the football business.  Now we're at the point where the University just does not want to be involved anymore. Once this happens it will have to happen whole hog - entire conference at a time. TV contracts won't be with the university anymore. Or will they?  Now its pro football. I think overtime this is like unlocking the ocean liner from the port. The team will drift from the students and from the alumni and there won't be the same attachment.

these are all REALLY good points not being talked about

+2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NIL and the war of words   NIL and the war of words Empty

Back to top Go down

NIL and the war of words
Page 1 of 1