Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return

Go down 
+3
joe
wshoes
BetterThansparty
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return Empty
PostSubject: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 am

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/73713

By Liz Vukelich, Daily Sports Editor
Published September 17, 2013

Defensive coordinator Greg Mattison seemed fairly confident in his Tuesday assessment that senior cornerback Courtney Avery would be fully available to play against Connecticut, three weeks after undergoing arthoscopic knee surgery.

Avery dressed against Notre Dame but was only available in a supporting special teams role. He didn’t play against Akron.

“Some programs might’ve thrown him in a lot in these last two weeks when they cleared him, but we’re not going to do that,” Mattison said. “We’re going to make sure a guy is healthy, 100 percent. I know he’s really anxious to get going, and we’re anxious for him to be in there also.”

But as excited as Mattison is at the prospect of Avery’s return, one looming question remains: where does he even fit in with the rest of the secondary?

The problem lies within the Wolverines who have filled in since Avery’s absence — Mattison cited sophomore Jarrod Wilson and fifth-year senior Thomas Gordon as players who have stepped up to the two safety positions.

One position that Avery certainly won’t play, though, is the nickel.

“(Redshirt sophomore) Blake (Countess) has done a real good job for us there, so we’ll keep him there and the next corner up would go at the corner,” Mattison said.

Countess has three interceptions in two games.

INSTANT MEALS: In what way did the Wolverines treat their game against Akron like a microwave?

According to offensive coordinator Al Borges, the Wolverines seemed to expect the same instant gratification when playing the Zips as they do when cooking a frozen meal — that a touchdown or a sack would come as easily as pushing a button.

“The big thing about a game like that, because you’re playing a team that you’re heavily favored (against), there’s a natural tendency for everyone to think every time you get the ball you should score (and) every time they get it, they should be stopped,” Borges said. “If that doesn’t happen, everyone starts freaking out. … These are the types of things that are a perfect storm for the team to upset you.”

Borges didn’t anticipate having to keep on-field frenzies to a minimum against Akron. He also didn’t expect having to do so much coaching and re-coaching during the game either.

After watching the Wolverines struggle play after play, it was clear to Borges his message wasn’t getting through to his offense.

“How many times am I telling you the same thing time and time again, and you’re just not getting it?” he asked. “It’s a different deal when you’re playing on Main Street than when you’re playing on State Street.

“A great coach demands what he wants, he doesn’t suggest it.”

CABLE, ZERO, TRAIN: Michigan coach Brady Hoke said he knew what the final defensive play call that would save the Wolverines from Akron was going to be before Mattison even called it.

The play — “cable zero train” — was a full-on blitz, with complete man-to-man coverage from the cornerbacks and no help from the safeties.

“Everybody has a responsibility. Everybody has a gap. Everybody has to execute that defense perfectly, and they did,” Mattison said. “In that defense, if you take a false step, you’re a second late.”

And no one executed better than junior linebacker Brennen Beyer, whose hit on Akron quarterback Kyle Pohl preserved the Wolverines’ perfect record.

And apparently, all it takes to pull off that type of play is being a “Michigan man,” at least according to Mattison.

“He just does what he’s coached to do every time,” Mattison said. “When he doesn’t, he will tell you before he doesn’t. That’s what we want in a Michigan defensive player, and that’s what he’s responded to do week in and week out, play in and play out.”

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 am

It still seems weird to have the best cornerback on the team- Countess- not playing cornerback.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:09 am

Shoes, that happened with another dude about 5 years ago.

Can't remember who it was. Best CB on the team and we moved him to Safety.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 am

joe wrote:
Shoes, that happened with another dude about 5 years ago.

Can't remember who it was. Best CB on the team and we moved him to Safety.
Marlin Jackson moved to S for a while. Countess is playing CB. He just moves over and covers the slot in nickle packages. No problem with that at all.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 am

THAT'S who it was. Thanks fish

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 am

If the slot is a team's best receiver then I get it, but seems like that isn't usually the case.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:19 am

Maybe the other corners aren't able to cover the slot guys.

Aren't slot receivers usually smaller and shiftier?

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 am

wshoes wrote:
If the slot is a team's best receiver then I get it, but seems like that isn't usually the case.

'shoes
I think the nickel also gives him a little more freedom to roam. But, I think Taylor was beat a lot on Saturday. I also didn't see Stribling at all. Thought we would.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank God.

Jourdan Lewis got punked all over the field last week.

Where the hell was Stribling???????

hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 pm

fish doesn't believe getting Avery back is important.

"But missing Avery was not a big loss IMHO" - fishgoblue22
"On the field not much of a loss." - fishgoblue22

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Admin wrote:
Thank God.

Jourdan Lewis got punked all over the field last week.

Where the hell was Stribling???????
I thought stribling had a few big plays in the secondary last week. He had his name called a few times for pass breakups. I just don't recall if they were long balls or potential first downs.

PostSubject: Re: Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return   Courtney Avery slated for full Saturday return Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1