Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Green or Smith to be the starting back.

Go down 
+3
stjotoo
joe
fishgoblue22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Green or Smith to be the starting back. Empty
PostSubject: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 7:04 pm

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/11/brady_hoke_hints_that_derrick.html
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 am

Good.

I have nothing against Fitz but he hasn't gotten the job done.

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 am

I agree with Hoke's decision. It's too bad that Fitz is probably relegated to the third man in line, but the reality of the situation is that status is extremely performance related and coaches are acutely aware of the results. Their jobs are on the line. What makes it sad is that, from everything I have read, Fitz is very much a team man and has worked diligently in his five years at Michigan. Whether or not it is entirely his fault, this, his last year, has not been good. My best wishes go out to him and earn that Michigan degree, which will be immensely more valuable to him in his future life than the football experience.

'too

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 am

It will be Green. Not sure why he has to try to hide it. Green has been next in line all season long.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 am

stjotoo wrote:
I agree with Hoke's decision.  It's too bad that Fitz is probably relegated to the third man in line, but the reality of the situation is that status is extremely performance related and coaches are acutely aware of the results.  Their jobs are on the line.  What makes it sad is that, from everything I have read, Fitz is very much a team man and has worked diligently in his five years at Michigan.  Whether or not it is entirely his fault, this, his last year, has not been good.  My best wishes go out to him and earn that Michigan degree, which will be immensely more valuable to him in his future life than the football experience.

'too
great post too

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:02 am

I'm all for giving the younger guys more chances with most season goals gone, but you lose me on the performance argument. The performance has been nearly identical except that Fitz is a receiving threat and has 11 TDs.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:10 am

Shoes, for me it's the eye test.

Green and Smith hit the hole. They don't dance. I guess I'll say I'm tired of the damn dancing.

I am so tired of Fitz losing yards. I KNOW it's not all his fault but I'm starting to believe SOME of it is his fault.

Did you happen to re-watch the game Sayerday? I didn't but I could have sworn that 3 times if Green had just cut to the right he would have had a huge gain. He still got 5 or 6 but 1 cut and wow. I think that'll come with reps.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:30 am

If they're hitting the holes better and not losing yards and still averaging 3.5 (Smith) and 3.3 (Green)- what does that tell you?

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:33 am

But they are young. They will learn. The cuts will come from feel. They won't hve to think about them.

Like I said, at least I have seen where they are a step or a decision away from breaking one.

I haven't seen that from Fitz.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:44 am

What I see is they all do fine on well blocked plays and get stuffed when they are met before they can get momentum. Most great college backs are pretty good right out of the box (on a yards per carry basis), not many grow into it- Instincts are already pretty well formed by the time they get to college. They may get better at blocking (most weren't required to do it in HS) or at running routes- but the rushing part is usually there from the get go-

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 pm

You seem to think I'm down on Fitz. I'm not. I'm just looking for spark.

We can't start a different QB so that's out. We have no other WRs. So I go where we have potential.

I guess if I wanted I could call you all sorts of names and an apologist who insists on keeping the things status quo even though it isn't working. Blah blah blah. That's not this forum's (or my) style though lmao!

I dunno shoes, what do you suggest? I'm at a loss. Something has got to get us going. I'm grasping at potential.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm

No I said I'm all for giving carries to the freshmen just that there wasn't solid evidence that there was a performance difference.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Hope

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I'd like to see Michigan use Fitz / Green like the Lions use Reggie Bush and Derrick Green.

Bush is more of a big play threat and better pass catcher, so when Detroit has a lot of field to work, Bush is in the backfield. On obvious passing downs, they split Bush out and/or bring in Bell because he is a better blocker. When the Lions are in the red zone, Bell gets the call because it is more about tough yardage than getting a guy open in space.

Fitz is a good pass catcher and has big play potential, so I'd like to see those skills be utilized. Green is a tougher runner and better blocker, so I'd like to see those skills be utilized. As cliche as it sounds, I think "running back by committee" is a good idea for our situation.

I'm also still under the impression that it all starts with the offensive line.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Fitz ran out onto the field for the first play....although we're still waiting for that play to happen.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green or Smith to be the starting back.   Green or Smith to be the starting back. Empty

Back to top Go down

Green or Smith to be the starting back.
Page 1 of 1