Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2 point conversion

Go down 
+3
the artist formally known
dwoody
joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 9:29 am

I have changed my mind a little.

I still agree with going for 2. But originally I blamed Borges and the play call.

Then I listened to the postgame show.

Gallon said his job was to clear out the DB and Funchess was also supposed to clear out the LB opening Dileo for 1 on 1.

Watch the replay. Gallon did not clear out. He stayed way too close to the play allowing Ohio to keep extra guys in the area.

If Gallon had cleared out properly the outcome might have been different.

It's just one time where we, as fans, blame Borges. I'm still not sure all of these "bad offensive plays" would have been bad if our players had carried out their assignments all year.

I'm not defending the guy. Well, yeah I am I guess. This once anyway.

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am

And I just watched it again on BTN. DiNardo said the same thing. (Although I rarely hang my hat on Gerry DiNardo!)

Gallon. Our All-American pass catcher, did not do his job when the play was not called for him.

He ran into the end zone and made no effort to clear out.

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:07 am

I find this interesting. Fans have been hammering Borges all year.

I give absolute proof that it may not have been all his fault.

20 people have read my post but no one wants to respond that maybe they've been wrong in hammering the guy.

dwoody

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 am

A little OT, Joe, but do you live in the Lansing area OR God's country?...it can't be both!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:28 am

LOL. You're right.

But I consider MICHIGAN to be God's Country. lol

dwoody

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 am

ps: maybe gallon messed up on that play, but you can't use that to support a claim that Borges has not been a total play-calling disaster this season.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 am

No I can't.

But it sheds a big light on things.

If your best player, an All American doesn't do what he was supposed to do what makes you think the freshmen, red-shirt freshmen and sophomores were doing what they were supposed to do all year long?

If I saw 1 play this year where a guy stood up and ran into another guy I saw 50.

I'm just not ready to crucify the coaches here. I'm not thrilled with them either. But I'm starting to think it was mostly the players and the coaches just couldn't throw them under the bus.

dwoody

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I am all in with BH, but some changes are needed. At the very least, nice guy though he may be, Funk needs to move on out.
Back to top Go down

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 pm

gallon did not do his job, but I would have like some one to head for the center of the endzone . did you notice that when the play started and Gardner looked right the whole defense flowed right , if the back comes outta the backfield right to center he would have been wide open Gardner pumps and looks left Conversion made Borges pretty much put all his eggs in 1 basket and the basket broke

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
jjabilene

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 3:12 pm

I believe someone on OSU also said they knew what play was coming from us, probably because Borges didn't think to change the play after OSU called time out. So no, Al is not blameless here. He called a good game, but when the play of the game came, he failed to adjust and called a play that the opponent knew was coming. Big fail, IMO.

I've been saying this all year, to have an offense this bad, everything is going wrong, poor execution by players, poor player development by coaches, and poor playcalling. I'm far from an expert on football strategy, but there have just been far too many times over the last two seasons where Borges has been blatantly screwing up and costing us games, and it's been obvious. I sure hope this game didn't save his job. He needs to go.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Whether Gallon did his job or not, I still don't like the play call.  I would have preferred a run/pass option.  

Also, why did they run the same play they were going to run before the Ohio timeout.  They came out in the same formation and same motion with Dileo.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Agree with the points made by both fish and jj. When I saw in the same formation after the timeout as before, I though ought oh. We throw to Dileo on that play every time. Kudos to the OSU staff for scouting it recognizing it and defending it.

I do agree that all three receivers were too close together but Dileo's man still would know it was (likely) going to him and that he would sit down in front, and he would still undercut it no matter what Gallon did. That's been one of my beefs all year- that we haven't run enough counters to exploit teams trying to take advantage of our tendencies.

One great offensive game doesn't change the fact that Borges has been a mediocre to poor OC consistent with his documented history. We are paying him supposedly the third highest OC salary and he is not close to worth it.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Yeah, everyone is still missing the main point.

When players don't execute the plays how do we know if they are good plays or not?

fishgoblue22

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 pm

joe wrote:
Yeah, everyone is still missing the main point.

When players don't execute the plays how do we know if they are good plays or not?

I get what the point is, but when the team knows what play is coming execution by the players may not make a difference.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Ask Vince Lombardi about that.

Anyway, enough about this argument. I was just trying to how that "Fire this guy" and "Fire this guy" just may not solve any problems.

The fact is all the guys making mistakes this year will be 1 year older. They should be better regardless of who the coach is.

fishgoblue22

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 8:51 pm

joe wrote:
Ask Vince Lombardi about that.

Anyway, enough about this argument. I was just trying to how that "Fire this guy" and "Fire this guy" just may not solve any problems.

The fact is all the guys making mistakes this year will be 1 year older. They should be better regardless of who the coach is.
Not executing comes down to coaching too.  Vince Lombardi's players executed because the coaching drilled it into them.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Not that I'm a fan of the New York Times but from the last paragraph of Tim Rohan's article :

"Then Hoke asked his seniors if they wanted to go for the win, while on the Ohio State sideline, the cornerbacks coach, Kerry Coombs, looked Tyvis Powell in the eyes and told him what play Michigan would run. They had prepared for it all week."

This is the problem.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 am

After watching this play over and over (and knowing that OSU knows the GD play,) Gallon didn't execute because the corner assigned to him is anticipating the ball going to Dileo.

Gallon tried to sell the out, and in fact, he ran into Grant while trying.  The problem was Grant and #23 are locked onto Dileo, just waiting for the throw.

They KNEW the play.  Kind of makes it hard for our players to execute.

It makes me sick that we served them up.

You can see #37 and #23 talking right before the snap..they knew exactly where the ball was going.

Here's a pretty good angle and slowmo from the stands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCW2DX4W1ho

Maybe Gardner could have looked off Dileo and went to a wide open Gallon on the out.  Hindsight is 20/20 though.  This all falls on coaching imo.  The fact they didn't have something new for The Game is absurd.

edit: after further review, it appears that Grant may have knocked Gallon off his route, or jammed traffic. Either way, they ran into each other, and Grant appears to know it's going to Dileo.

Last edited by mgoblue93 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 am

Borges. Go away.
Back to top Go down

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:54 pm

looks like Dileo would have been wide open on Quik slant, they were waiting for the hook.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2 point conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 point conversion   2 point conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

2 point conversion
Page 1 of 1