Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. Empty
PostSubject: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 11:18 am

http://www.freep.com/article/20140113/SPORTS06/301130033/%E2%80%9Dhttp://www.freep.com/article/99999999/sports06/120806085&template=theme&theme=maize_n_brew%E2%80%9D
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm

and another comment about Borges using not only multiple sets but multiple SYSTEMS throughout the season.

Maybe the guy just tinkered TOO much?

My motto (NO) has always been

GRIND THE BASTARDS DOWN!

Now that doesn't mean we have to run the ball 100% of the time. But I want MICHIGAN dictating the pace and the physicality of the games. I am just a simple poster on a forum but it seems like we need to focus on FUNDAMENTALS! Run 10 sets ALL YEAR! Run 10 different plays from each set. As the year goes on add a wrinkle to one of the plays off of one of the sets.

IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!

But, alas, I am only joe! lol

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

football has become a passing game because there just are not enough defensive pack to cover. If you run the ball line up big on big. Outmuscle your guys its tough to pass you just line up a guy with move and hands . most time even throw it in an area and it complete.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm really sorry artist, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Sorry Joe, fingers don't follow thoughts. What I'm saying its so much easier to defense the run than the pass. Move an extra guy up, or run blitz, or just be tougher. Its harder to find good DB's . If you get quick receiver's with hands your more likely to move the ball.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Meechigan Man

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Absolutely true Artist, always a lot tougher defending the pass, what with all the routes and all sizes of receivers. Power running will never work consistently without a competent passing game, be it downfield, swing passes, quick slants etc.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

I don't see anywhere where I post that we need to have the/a power running game period.

Both you guys seem to take my comments to the Nth degree.

Alabama has done just fine the last few years with exactly what I would call "Grind the Bastards Down" offense. This year it worked fabulously for Lil Bro in this Godfersaken town.

I even noted explicitly that I didn't want to run the ball 100% of the time but both of you guys seem to think that is what I am saying.

I want to be bigger, stronger, faster and be able to run whateverthefuck play I want. That's what I want. And by being that way you naturally

GRIND THE BASTARDS DOWN

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Sorry Joe, not trying to say your wrong, I just added that without a good passing attack sooner or later they will load up the box and stop the run. Totally agree that man ball leads to wearing down the D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Guess Joe I miss enterpited what you meant by Grind the bastard down

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 pm

There is a Division 8 high school up here that goes into every football season with 15-20 varsity players. They still routinely finish towards the top of the best Class D/Division 8 conference in the state (Great Western Conference). They only have 7 different plays and they run those 7 plays from 3 different formations. Those 7 plays are run to perfection.

I'd rather Michigan be able to execute a small number of plays to perfection than a lot of plays with "meh" execution.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
There is a Division 8 high school up here that goes into every football season with 15-20 varsity players. They still routinely finish towards the top of the best Class D/Division 8 conference in the state (Great Western Conference). They only have 7 different plays and they run those 7 plays from 3 different formations. Those 7 plays are run to perfection.

I'd rather Michigan be able to execute a small number of plays to perfection than a lot of plays with "meh" execution.

yep and I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think that is what JOE was getting at. In a way I tend to agree. At least then I feel like we would be able to see exactly where and how the plays are breaking down and in-game adjustments would be a bit easier. of course this is coming from a guy who has ZERO coaching experience ha ha. Just my armchair coach thinking kicking in I guess  Very Happy 

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

yep and I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think that is what JOE was getting at. In a way I tend to agree. At least then I feel like we would be able to see exactly where and how the plays are breaking down and in-game adjustments would be a bit easier. of course this is coming from a guy who has ZERO coaching experience  ha ha. Just my armchair coach thinking kicking in I guess   Very Happy 

Yeah, that is what I thought joe was getting at too. "Here's what we are running, now try and stop it.".

Also, I'm not advocating that Michigan downsize to 21 plays. Even the most vanilla Division 1 college offense would have much, much, more than 21 variations. I'm just saying it would be nice to have "bread and butter" plays.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm

I guess I put maybe a few too many thoughts in one post.

First off, yes, I want to run the ball. I want to be able to line up and run it whenever we want. Say, "Here it is, try and stop it."

In no way does that mean that is the only thing I want to do.

In fact, I guess we could discuss percentage of plays if we want to really get into it. I am "Conservative". 50/50 would make me happier than a hog in slop.

With that being said, if it's UConn or Akron or Eastern or Western why not line up and run it 65% of the time? Michigan SHOULD be bigger and badder than all of those teams.

Now, Hail said 3 formations and 7 plays from each. Not enough but he's got a better idea than Borges's 1 play out of 100 formations. There was rarely any variation. If we went into a formation EVERYONE knew what play we were running. Even I knew what we were running.

I think I said something a little more like 10 plays out of 10 formations. Again this is a hypothetical number moving up or down within each formation. Then add a play to each formation each week.

I am not advocating 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If GRIND THE BASTARDS DOWN suggests that then perhaps this clarifies it.

What type of offense do I really really like? One that scores more than the other team. PERIOD. lol

PostSubject: Re: Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.   Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us. Empty

Back to top Go down

Good read on what Nussmeier might do for us.
Page 1 of 1