Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'eggo, do you know anything about this?

Go down 
+6
sandyeggo_blue
Admin
GOBLUEJOE66
MgoBlue
fishgoblue22
BetterThansparty
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

'eggo, do you know anything about this? Empty
PostSubject: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:52 am

Should we be concerned?

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/11/10/9701982/dj-durkin-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

Over the coming weeks and months, the Maryland football program will search for a new head coach to replace the departed Randy Edsall. We know (roughly) who the candidates are, but who should Maryland pick? We'll state every coach's case, whether he wants the job or not, in 500 words or fewer.

D.J. Durkin, Michigan defensive coordinator

Possibility scale: 4/10

The resume

Durkin was a four-year starter at defensive end and linebacker for Bowling Green from 1997-2000 before serving as a graduate assistant there from 2001-2002 and at Notre Dame from 2003-2004.

He got his first coaching job in 2005 as Bowling Green's defensive line coach and quickly moved up to linebackers coach/special teams coordinator a season later.

He's currently leading a successful defense in his first year at Michigan after spending four seasons at Florida, serving as defensive coordinator for the last two. Before that, he was an assistant coach under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. In his two seasons as defensive coordinator at Florida, Durkin's defenses ranked 15th and eighth in the nation in S&P+, and his Wolverines lead the country in that category so far this season. (You can read more about Michigan's success this season here.)

He's now coached under Harbaugh twice, and the fact that Harbaugh sought him out for his current position can only be a good sign for Durkin's abilities.

The benefits

While Maryland's offense has been noticeably horrible this season, the team's defense has quietly been doing OK. The Terps currently rank 40th in defensive S&P+, and will be probably be returning an improved defense next season, with the possible exception of Yannick Ngakoue. They'll probably get David Shaw, Adam McLean and Abner Logan back from injury, while they will only be graduating three members of the secondary, all of whom have struggled this season. Durkin would have a lot to work with on that front, and he'd have Dwayne Haskins and an improved offense too.

The drawbacks

As we've previously noted in this series, Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson is looking for a "wide-open offense," and hiring a defensive coordinator wouldn't necessarily satisfy those needs. Ever since he became a coach, Durkin's held positions exclusively on the defensive side of the ball. His only experience coaching any sort of offense came when he was Florida's interim head coach for last season's Birmingham Bowl, which the Gators won 28-20.

In one sentence

Durkin looks like one of the top defensive coordinators in the country, but his lack of experience coaching on offense – or a desire not to recruit against his old boss – might put him out of contention for Maryland's head coaching job.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 8:13 am

I wouldn't be that concerned at this point, but Durkin will continue to get mentioned. The down side of a good staff. I don't feel like Drevno will be a candidate for other jobs, because it feels like JH and Fisch kind of run the offense. I do think Fisch may get offers as an offensive coordinator where he can run it by himself.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 9:32 am

There are a lot of vacancies this year. More than any other time I can remember and the season is not even over yet. There will be guys looked at on this staff. There is no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 pm

I agree with Fish and Mgo. Our guys are going to make a LOT of lists over the next few years, which I see as a compliment to JH and the UM program from the aspect that it shows that they all damn good coaches!!!! Smile

Go Blue!! Smile

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:41 pm

I see Les Miles might be exiting Baton Rouge.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:44 pm

GOBLUEecuador wrote:

They say that every year...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 4:04 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
GOBLUEecuador wrote:

They say that every year...

Well, they're saying it could be today.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Yea it's not looking good for him which is ridiculous. Perhaps he ends up on Jim's staff. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

IMO Durkin is the only legitimate assistant that could possible be tabbed for a position.

And even as good as his defense has been over the year, you're looking at a smaller school offer.

Perhaps Houston when Tom Hermann bounces after a year for a bigger job?

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Admin wrote:
Perhaps Houston when Tom Hermann bounces after a year for a bigger job?

That brings up an interesting thought. What are the odds that ohio state opens up the vault to bring Herman back? You know how pathological suckeye fans re and with the dumpster fire that their offense has been this year...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 10:00 pm

I don't see herman ever going back to o$u. he is currently parlaying his winnings at houston into a bigger gig in a couple of years. that's my guess anyway.

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 8:22 am

MgoBlue wrote:
Yea it's not looking good for him which is ridiculous.  Perhaps he ends up on Jim's staff.  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Anybody here think Jim would hire Les? I have my doubts because I'm guessing Lloyd would be putting his 2 cents into that hire, one way or another. Besides, I'm not sure Les would come back as long as Lloyd is attached to the program.

Just thinking out loud here....
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 8:26 am

GOBLUEecuador wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
Yea it's not looking good for him which is ridiculous.  Perhaps he ends up on Jim's staff.  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Anybody here think Jim would hire Les? I have my doubts because I'm guessing Lloyd would be putting his 2 cents into that hire, one way or another. Besides, I'm not sure Les would come back as long as Lloyd is attached to the program.

1. Why would LM take 15 mil and then work as an assistant?

2. Why would JH want a 62 year old NC winning head coach with 15 mil in his pocket on the staff?

It makes zero sense. My guess is LM will take the money and go to work for ESPN or FS1 or some other sports network. If he wants to keep coaching, and a team wants a 62 year old big name coach, he will find a job. South Carolina may come calling. Lou Holtz to Steve Spurrier to Les Miles. All old with NC under their belts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 8:40 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
GOBLUEecuador wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:

1.  Why would LM take 15 mil and then work as an assistant?

2.  Why would JH want a 62 year old NC winning head coach with 15 mil in his pocket on the staff?

It makes zero sense.  My guess is LM will take the money and go to work for ESPN or FS1 or some other sports network.  If he wants to keep coaching, and a team wants a 62 year old big name coach, he will find a job.  South Carolina may come calling.  Lou Holtz to Steve Spurrier to Les Miles.  All old with NC under their belts.

I guess it depends on how bad Les would like to come back to his alma mater, fish. Some people love to do that. Or, maybe he wouldn't want to be HC anymore but like something to do in some capacity. I don't know, anything's possible.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 9:35 am

Zero chance IMO that Miles winds up on Jim's staff. Les hasn't been a position coach in forever and the media circus wouldn't be worth it either. I do not think though that JH would refuse to hire anyone he wanted to because of what Lloyd might say. Jim is in charge period.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 11:55 am

Yea I don't think Les comes here either. Fun to think about it.

To further the discussion though does anyone know of any coaches Jim may look at to replace a Durkin or anyone else we could lose. We all know Harbaugh has his guys. Anyone he may have worked with in the past could end up in AA?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 12:17 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Yea I don't think Les comes here either.  Fun to think about it.  

To further the discussion though does anyone know of any coaches Jim may look at to replace a Durkin or anyone else we could lose.  We all know Harbaugh has his guys.  Anyone he may have worked with in the past could end up in AA?

scott shafer.

hear me out....

1. he has a great working relationship with Jim.

2. he laid the foundation for Jim's follow on DCs at stanford

3. he has head coaching experience

4. he has obvious ties to MICHIGAN

5. I think anyone with half a brain knows that his time as DC under RR is not indicative of his actual potential

all that said, do I think he's an upgrade from durkin or even a parallel move? absolutely not but IMO he'd still be a good fit

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Why not worry about Durkin's replacement when Durkin needs to be replaced? Why get your panties in a bunch about something that hasn't happened, and might not happen? Just sayin'!
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 4:50 pm

wshoes wrote:
Zero chance IMO that Miles winds up on Jim's staff. Les hasn't been a position coach in forever and the media circus wouldn't be worth it either. I do not think though that JH would refuse to hire anyone he wanted to because of what Lloyd might say. Jim is in charge period.

Agree.  The first time I saw someone here suggest that Miles might come back to Michigan to be a position coach I had to do a double take.  I still can't believe that anyone would be that naive to think Miles would do that, or that Coach Harbaugh would take him.  Coach Harbaugh is a control freak don't forget, why would he bring in someone with D1 Head Coaching experience?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Last edited by TheNewBlueOrder on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Deist-Is there another site you can spend time on?  It's a discussion board for Christ sakes.  If you don't like the discussion feel free to do something else.  No one is getting upset over it.

Last edited by MgoBlue on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 4:56 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
Yea I don't think Les comes here either.  Fun to think about it.  

To further the discussion though does anyone know of any coaches Jim may look at to replace a Durkin or anyone else we could lose.  We all know Harbaugh has his guys.  Anyone he may have worked with in the past could end up in AA?

scott shafer.

hear me out....

1. he has a great working relationship with Jim.

2. he laid the foundation for Jim's follow on DCs at stanford

3. he has head coaching experience

4. he has obvious ties to MICHIGAN

5. I think anyone with half a brain knows that his time as DC under RR is not indicative of his actual potential

all that said, do I think he's an upgrade from durkin or even a parallel move? absolutely not but IMO he'd still be a good fit

I really have no issue with anyone Jim picks. With him running the show he will make sure things are exactly as he wants them. What about Matteson?

Aside from defense are there other coaches in his fraternity you would like to see? I feel like Wheatly isn't going to be a career RB coach. Fisch is another I could see leaving.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 4:58 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Is there another site you can spend time on?  It's a discussion board for Christ sakes.  If you don't like the discussion feel free to do something else.  No one is getting upset over it.

Seriously, you have a problem with that? I agreed with 'shoes. You yell at me for that?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 5:14 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
MgoBlue wrote:
Is there another site you can spend time on?  It's a discussion board for Christ sakes.  If you don't like the discussion feel free to do something else.  No one is getting upset over it.

Seriously, you have a problem with that?  I agreed with 'shoes.  You yell at me for that?

I'm pretty sure the guy was responding to dwoody.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 5:20 pm

I think it was a legitimate question. it may seem like speculation or jumping the gun and it may seem silly or asinine to some to even ask the question but who cares. if you don't like the question then don't respond. it's a discussion board for Christ's sake!

it's not like he's saying WHEN DURKIN IS GONE or LET'S LINE UP OUR NEW DC NOW

if you care not to discuss until the program crosses that bridge then don't. but then I'd better not hear you talk about 2018 recruits or even Trump as the president until it happens because it's the same thing.

geez lighten up people. it's rivalry week but you're never gonna win with your panties in a bunch.

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Hail is correct.

Agree Sandy. It can be slow here at times. Sometimes you throw something out to get the discussion going.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 pm

For Christ's sake, all I'm saying is we got a great thing going right now with a tremendous coaching staff and it's OHIO STATE week!!! Why not enjoy what we have and focus on what a super game is coming up in four more days instead of fretting about who might or might not be leaving? After the anguish of the prior seven seasons, enjoy the moment and what we have! We've all been pining for a time like this. Savor it!
That is all....
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

you know you have great assistants when their names start popping up on want lists .... not concerned in the least as Jim would have his choice of replacements ... top notch replacements
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:47 pm

dwoody wrote:
For Christ's sake, all I'm saying is we got a great thing going right now with a tremendous coaching staff and it's OHIO STATE week!!! Why not enjoy what we have and focus on what a super game is coming up in four more days instead of fretting about who might or might not be leaving? After the anguish of the prior seven seasons, enjoy the moment and what we have! We've all been pining for a time like this. Savor it!
That is all....

6 out of 7, I think that we were all duped in 2011.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Yes because we can only focus on one thing at a time. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:57 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Yes because we can only focus on one thing at a time.  Rolling Eyes

C'mon, that's only a valid excuse for a sparty...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'eggo, do you know anything about this?   'eggo, do you know anything about this? Empty

Back to top Go down

'eggo, do you know anything about this?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next