Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

UM offers freshmen.

Go down 
+3
sandyeggo_blue
ThatGuy
fishgoblue22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

UM offers freshmen. Empty
PostSubject: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Thoughts.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/03/michigan_offers_high_school_fr.html
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 pm

That is really early, I don't know. I won't say anything about it until after we see a couple play.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Certain trends or shifts in the college and/or Michigan landscape bother me. Offering a freshman isn't one of them. We're going to see it more and more from schools moving forward. Someday it will be the norm and if UM wants to do it now then I have no problem with it. To date, this staff has given me ZERO reason to doubt their evaluation of prospects during recruiting.

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:45 pm

My concern is for the development of young kids. If, at 14/15 you receive a full-ride to a school of Michigan's stature that "may" cause you to stuff off. Not work as hard as you could gain a sense of entitlement. As frequently discussed here almost ad naseum, going to school at Michigan is a priviledge, not a right.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Not sure how I feel about offering a freshman, but.... Obviously hard to tell what level of competition he is playing against, but he does not look at all like a freshman. Great feet and hand on defense. Doesn't seem to loaf yet seems under control. I like the 4 or 5 pancake blocks on O. BUT, how big his head gets over the next three years will tell!!

Go Blue!! Smile

hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:39 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
My concern is for the development of young kids. If, at 14/15 you receive a full-ride to a school of Michigan's stature that "may" cause you to stuff off. Not work as hard as you could gain a sense of entitlement. As frequently discussed here almost ad naseum, going to school at Michigan is a priviledge, not a right.

Have you ever had a friend commit to a D1 school?

Two of my friends committed to Michigan Tech (D2). One was not allowed to play high school baseball his senior year, or Tech would pull the scholarship. My other friend who I'm a lot closer too was given a workout routine that he had to follow before ever even stepping foot on campus, and they kept a close eye on it.

Full ride scholarships aren't given out like halloween candy, and when they are, they can easily be pulled.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes, several (of course more D-2 than D-1) for various sports. Most don't sluff'off. But I still see the possibility IF they are literally dominating the competition as Freshmen that possibility exists.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
romeo49

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Big wup! if being on the radar for the next can't miss talent means showing interest or offering and its within the rules who cares. Kid may change his mind several times over before then so it eans little except that the kid can better plan his own future.
My family all grow early and then stop by 14; at least in height. my two little cousins both were 6'3" and could dunk at 13.
Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 am

I work with HS athletes for many of yrs. Majority of current frosh FB players are immature, if they where offered a schlorship, (no one even close) they couldn't fit thru the door because their head would be incredibly large.

The current junior class completely different, they where 9-0 as frosh, 9-0 on JV team, 8-2 last yr as part of the varsity team. Right now there are 5 kids who should be able to play college FB, 2 probably B1G or MAC. All have recieved letters from schools, gone for unofficial visits. What do these 5 kids have in common? They bust their ass in weight room, good team leaders & don't have big heads.

The pt. is the kid M offered I persume M coaches did their homework on the kid, asked HS coach, counsler about maturity level, can he handle the pressure of all the attention he's getting.

With that all being said, theres alot going on in the life of a 14/15 yr. old kid, like girls, being liked by peers & teammates, drivers training, wear the cool clothes, pressure to do well in classroom, on athletic field, just hanging out with friends, beer and smoking: do I experiment or not, how to break curfew, sneak in house without being caught. College is not a high priority right now. So when I see a college has offered a 14/15 yr. old a schlorship, I just laugh. This kid is NOT ready to make those kind of decisions no matter what kind of support group he has behind him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UM offers freshmen.   UM offers freshmen. Empty

Back to top Go down

UM offers freshmen.
Page 1 of 1