Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fireworks proposal shot down by regents

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fireworks proposal shot down by regents Empty
PostSubject: Fireworks proposal shot down by regents   Fireworks proposal shot down by regents EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 am

From MLive.

Regent Laurence Deitch was the first to speak out against the fireworks displays. He said that the plan's risks outweigh its rewards and the gimmick would be inconsistent with the university's tradition.

"I am a fan. I have religiously attended Michigan football games for 50 years. I can honestly tell you that I have not been wanting due to that lack of fireworks," Deitch said.

"What I, as a fan, want, is tough, exciting, winning football. That's it...Somehow this doesn't feel right to me."

Regent Mark Bernstein was also vocal in his displeasure with the proposal.

Bernstein said he felt like it was a bad idea from the beginning, and knowing that the fireworks display was scheduled to take place during the course of the Penn State game, he thought it was an even worse idea.

"This fireworks proposal has sparked an important discussion. This is, I believe, a huge symbolic issue. I love fireworks, but not at a Michigan football game," he said.

"We are not Comerica Park or a Super Bowl or Disney World or a circus. Enough is enough. It should be an experience – a place that resists the excesses of our culture. The fact that it's not (a pro sports spectacle) is what I love about our culture. The fireworks should be on the field, not above it."

Pretty much exactly what I said last week.

Entire story: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/07/u-m_regents_shoot_down_proposa.html
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com

Fireworks proposal shot down by regents
Page 1 of 1