Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alcohol in the Big House

Go down 
+5
joe
dwoody
Admin
MgoBlue
sandyeggo_blue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Alcohol in the Big House Empty
PostSubject: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 am

I see a lot of the smaller college schools are starting to have alcohol sales to bring in revenue.

What are you thoughts on alcohol at the games?

I read that the company that is in charge of concessions at the Big House (Sodexo Management) was granted a temporary Class C license to serve alcohol during the Man U vs Real Madrid game. Did anyone go and partake? If so how was the atmosphere?

One thing I read that I liked was that Sodexo Mgmt hired Rave Associates, a company that specializes in local beers, and they were able to bring Bells Oberon, Two Hearted Ale and Founders All Day IPA beers to the stadium to go with the eight or so national brand beers.

I personally don't see a problem with alcohol sales but I like to have a few while watching a game. If there was a cut-off time like at the MLB and NFL games it would help. Also, I read that during the Man U vs Real Madrid game there were tons of free water stations available.

Of course it would most likely mean added security and probably higher insurance premiums for the school which I'm sure wouldn't sit right with some.

I saw a game at TCF Bank stadium in Minnesota in 2012 but didn't drink in the stadium that day. I didn't see any problems with drunk assholes. I believe they only sold beer on the opposite side of the stadium to where I was sitting so I'm sure that's where they all were.

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 am

There should be alcohol served. It's ridiculous that it's not. People need be able to handle themselves and if they can't they pay the price and get arrested. I think from the university stand point it would be great money and one less reason for fans to stay home vs going to game.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see the university examine this as a legitimate possibility due to attendance this year.

If it's as crummy as everyone expects it, perhaps it's something we'll see in 2015.

I personally think there should be alcohol sold in the stadium. For me, personally, it would keep me from drinking as much as I physically can before entering the stadium (like I do now), and sneaking in a water bottle full of whiskey (like I do now).

MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 am

Admin wrote:

I personally think there should be alcohol sold in the stadium. For me, personally, it would keep me from drinking as much as I physically can before entering the stadium (like I do now), and sneaking in a water bottle full of whiskey (like I do now).

I have only sneaked alcohol in a couple of times so that is not as big of an issue with me. HOWEVER, I definitely drink a lot more at the tailgate knowing I am cut off once I get in.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am

MgoBlue wrote:

I have only sneaked alcohol in a couple of times so that is not as big of an issue with me.  HOWEVER,  I definitely drink a lot more at the tailgate knowing I am cut off once I get in.

Definitely.

I have to sneak a little in, or else by halftime I'm just kind of blahhhhhhh.  Neutral 

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:25 am

The people around me for the first UTL game/comeback vs ND loved me after the game. I pulled out TWO full water bottles of whiskey, and we passed 'em around between about 10 of us. Sang and danced inside that stadium for at least 45 minutes after the final whistle.

I was a KING to those people! lol

dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:58 am

Back in the day, I would walk in the House with my Stroh's stay-cold (they didn't) 12-pack, and thousands of others were similarly equipped. Near the end of the game, people passed their empty Boone's Farm bottle to the top of the stadium. Memories!
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am

Admin wrote:
...For me, personally, it would keep me from drinking as much as I physically can before entering the stadium (like I do now), and sneaking in a water bottle full of whiskey (like I do now)...

^^^ EXACTLY THIS ^^^

Every time I sneak in booze I wear a hoodie and I put a pint in the hood hanging near the top of my neck/back. they never check there.

The Big Chill against sparty all four of us (me, my wife, my brother in law and his wife) snuck in booze that way. It was a GREAT day!

joe

PostSubject: I was in a couple of those    Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:11 pm

dwoody wrote:
Back in the day, I  would walk in the House with my Stroh's stay-cold (they didn't) 12-pack, and thousands of others were similarly equipped. Near the end of the game, people passed their empty Boone's Farm bottle to the top of the stadium. Memories!

Boones Farm induced Waves.

In fact that wave, green wine bottles from the bottom of the student section to the top of the student section, preceded what is now known as The Wave (swirling around the stadium) by several years.

Showin our age woody.  tongue 

booboo

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 7:13 pm

dwoody wrote:
Back in the day, I  would walk in the House with my Stroh's stay-cold (they didn't) 12-pack, and thousands of others were similarly equipped. Near the end of the game, people passed their empty Boone's Farm bottle to the top of the stadium. Memories!

Had a good laugh when you mentioned Boone's Farm. As a HS senior, class of 1978, few of my friends & I would occasionally, once a month, have some Boone's with lunch. Last week of school, we met at a friends house before school (parents out of town), had eggs, bacon & a lot of Boone's Farm!!!  The good old days, 18 & stupid, hahaha!!!  Twisted Evil 

Back to the topic, surprised DB hasn't thought of this of a way to make more money. $6-$7 a beer, lots of money to be made! At those prices, how drunk will fans really get?

I can understand for a 3:30 or evening game people already drinking at tailgates for many hours, how drunk do you want the fans? Like to think fans are a little smarter these days when it comes to drinking & driving. Agree with posters, cut off selling of beer, end of 3rd qtr.? sooner/later?

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Prediction.

$9

if it goes through

they will claim insurance

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 am

joe wrote:
Prediction.

$9

if it goes through

they will claim insurance

$9.00 is a fair price at a game. I never understood why people bitch about the price of booze at sporting events. Look, the reason to attend the game is the game, not to get so drunk that you make an ass out of yourself. I do enjoy some beers while watching a game, and I enjoy a few at the tailgate party before the game. However, when inside, I really only need to have about 3 or 4 while watching a game. At that price, you really only want to buy 3 or 4.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 am

I thought it was against some law or regulation and required a waiver and that amateur events were different than pro events, but not sure about this.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 am

wshoes wrote:
I thought it was against some law or regulation and required a waiver and that amateur events were different than pro events, but not sure about this.

'shoes

Perhaps at the state level, but there have been some other schools around the country the last couple years that have added alcohol to the concessions.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 am

wshoes wrote:

'shoes

I know they sell beer at the Currier Dome during Syracuse games, BB and FB. And that dome is on campus. So it may be a state law, not sure.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 am

yes- fish you're right about that. Wisconsin was one I wondered about too, have never been to a game there. My memory on this is fuzzy, when I get a chance, I'll do some research.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am

I guess it is just a UM policy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10621904/alcohol-sales-planned-michigan-stadium
Back to top Go down
blu4vr

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

You can buy beer at OSU hoops and hockey games at the Schott. The hotdogs at hockey games are cheap. $2.50 each and $7.00 beers. Better than being abused at a NHL game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol in the Big House   Alcohol in the Big House Empty

Back to top Go down

Alcohol in the Big House
Page 1 of 1