Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game Empty
PostSubject: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 am

Mike, I know this was your favorite all time win and I wanted you to know that I got my hands on a much better copy. Picture is a little dark on replays but it's much better than before. Plus, this version stays with Bob Ufer on the play by play so you get to hear his call on the Curtis Greer sack on Joe Montana for a safety at the end.

Here's the highlights:

Seriously, what's up with those stupid Notre Dame students crowding around the refs during the coin toss? He has to tell them 3 times to move back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

WH, you're the man. If you don't mind I may have a request to submit soon.

Mgovideo is missing a lot of stuff from 00-07. Couple games in there I'd definitely like to rewatch.

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am

Actually, I know exactly what I want to see.

Do you have a full-game copy of the MSU game when Perry ran the ball 50+ times for like 230 yards? I think it was '03.

I'd love to see that one. I've got it on VHS back home home, no copy here on Chicago. I'll never forget that game. First and only time I've been to EL. Took up a young kid I looked after at the time (I think he was 10...father was a local policeman who died of cancer. He left behind 3 boys. My younger brother became friends with them and they quickly became friends of the family. They grew up ND fans, like 99% of that area, but I got them to trade those loyalties for Maize n Blue - still to this day. Anyway, I was 16-17 and took up the middle son. We didn't buy tix, but we managed to sneak in through one of the gates. We stood at the top of the lower 'deck' on the concourse and watched the whole game from there. It was a great day.)

michmike

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 am

Your memory of my all-time fav's stands UNDIMMED, WolvHist!!! Much as we all loved the thrill of our night-game victory a year ago, or, going back, the vindication of snapping our 4-game losing streak with that 25-7 crunching in 1981, or 38-0 blowout in 2003, or that convincing 47-21 win at S.B. in 2006...there will, for whatever reason, never be another September 23, 1978 for me! ("Reason" almost certainly best translated as "the carefree, unbridled joyfulness of youth").

And, as I've said enough times to drive you bugs, the RELIEF of not having to face those legions of Irish fans getting on my case at work Monday 9/25/78...

I'll have to view it at home, though... but thanks!
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Postscript--- WH, in response to your question posted just below the YouTube vid---don't ask me why those Irish clowns had to crowd out the ref's and team captains during the coin toss. I assume they were members of the "Huge-donor" portion of the alumni assoc. or some such, to even be permitted on the field? Jeez, if the game meant THAT much to them, all the sweeter was our victory!

Which reminds me: though like yourself (and most of our colleagues HERE) I never visit MLive anymore, I wonder what happened to NDBacker? Hadn't seen him there since our 2011 game. He was a good, objective opposing- team poster.
And it points up another fact: given the degree of seriousness Irish backers everywhere attach to their football team's fortunes/misfortunes, it can't be easy being an Irish fan for at least the past 15 years...
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:21 pm

This was also one of my favorites.

My brother had just graduated from Michigan and my dad got tickets for the game.

First game after how many years? was it 30-40 years?

We obviously had a great great time.

joe

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 pm

It's funny when you watch these things and just see little things.

When Michigan ran on the field all the male cheerleaders led them down the field doing handsprings.

bout 1/2 way down one of the cheerl;eaders misses and tumbles and almost gets killed by the team! Wasn't funny then but it is now!

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: replies   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Mike: That must have been some lame ND tradition back in the day where the football team ran through their students when they entered the field. But there's so many of them that our guys have to run around them just to get to their sideline. It's interesting with the Ufer broadcast at the end because he mentions that George Burns was on the sideline. Apparently he was a ND fan. But Ufer mentions that Burns is running after Bo to congratulate him. Unfortunately, the TV cameras cut to commercial before we could see this moment.

As for NDBacker, I haven't a clue as to his whereabouts. There is a ND fan on MGoBlog that posts once in a while who is tolerable but I'm not sure if they're the same person or not.

THEstjoemfan: Yeah, I noticed that poor male cheerleader almost get trampled to death. Pretty funny now.

Admin: I already uploaded a 2 part highlight vid of the 2003 MSU game a couple years ago. That was back in the day where videos couldn't be longer than 11 minutes so I had to split it. But I don't do full games. I got most of Chris Perry's carries but I left out the 1 yard gains. It's probably not the same to you but it's something.

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Geez, WH, now ya' dun it!! Got me going on that game! And the movies behind the eye running full tilt!

A memory (among many): during the course of the game, but most apparently after Ralph Clayton is helped up after getting blasted in the midsection following his long TD catch to put us up 26-14, our one young
lady with hair down to her ankles, almost, is shown cheering us on. Though the missus was a ballet dancer (and looked the part--and figure---back then), I couldn't help but, ahem, "commenting" on that M cheerleader, and her lovely, luxuriant mane. I can recall feeling fortunate to be so happy at the moment as not to mind playing bachelor, 'cos from Mrs. Michmike's reaction to his jabs, I thought I'd end up cooking my own supper afterward!!!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm pretty licky on that respect mike. My wife actually points them out to me!

I guess she figures I'm gonna look and it would be sorta like a dog chasing a car anyway.

So she doesn't get too bent outta shape.

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

NO COMPARISON, Joe---you of all people would actually ENJOY cooking your own supper!!!! (Or lunch...or breakfast).
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Enjoy and do, just about every night! lol

So yeah that wouldn't bother me too much.

I do point out guys to her but I just don't have that type of eye, ya know? lol

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:51 pm

That's funny. Watching the full game last night, the cameras zoom in on the Michigan band and the Michigan cheerleaders all game long and all but ignore ND's band and cheerleaders. Funny considering this game was played in South Bend. And that girl's hair is insanely long. Must have been a 70's thing.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Cripes, we'd better STOP! My lunch half-hour is all but over. But let me give out by saying I can almost recall what I was doing that day, down to glancing at the wall clock (it was around 4 PM when the game ended) to make sure the missus and I didn't have to leave for an appointment that afternoon before the game ended! And the next day, travelling to a lovely natural wonder in southwestern NY state (we lived in Rochester), Letchworth State Park ("The Grand Canyon of the East"), which was full of tourists that 70-degree lovely of an autumn Sunday---flaunting my U-M T-shirt, and seeking out ND fans!!!

Hehehe!

Out for now...
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I recall watching the '06 notre dame game with my best-friend and a bunch of Los Angeles UM Alumni in LA. That was a great game, although we kind of lost interest after the first-half as the game was over.

I keep saying, you need to rewatch the '05 Penn State game. That game was phenomenol start to finish.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:23 pm

You guys LOST INTEREST in a game where we were beating the crap out of Notre Dame of all schools? You're pulling my leg right?

I was at the '05 Penn State game (Henne to Manningham). I can't say that was a great game start to finish. The first half was about as boring as a game can get. It was 3-0 at halftime. The second half, though, we know what happened there.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:20 pm

WolverineHistorian wrote:
You guys LOST INTEREST in a game where we were beating the crap out of Notre Dame of all schools? You're pulling my leg right?

I was at the '05 Penn State game (Henne to Manningham). I can't say that was a great game start to finish. The first half was about as boring as a game can get. It was 3-0 at halftime. The second half, though, we know what happened there.

It may have been Notre Dame but it looked as if Michigan was playing a Pop Warner team. Notre Dame didn't even belong on the same field.

As far as the '05 Penn State game goes, it was a terrific defensive battle in the first half followed by a second half full of big plays.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game   For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game Empty

Back to top Go down

For MichMike: 1978 Notre Dame game
Page 1 of 1