Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite game you've *attended*?

Go down 
+6
ThatGuy
flabluefan1
fishgoblue22
joe
tonyc1257
Admin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Favorite game you've *attended*? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 2:32 pm

I've got a tough list, for I've been lucky to be at most of the big ones since 97.

From Desmond's catch vs ND, to beating Ohio in 97, the 38-0 (I think) drubbing of ND in 03 (?), to the Under The Lights game this year. Also can't forget Chris Perry running 50+ times for 200+ yards in East Lansing (which I snuck into without paying for a ticket lol).

I probably have to go with 1997, the win over Ohio.

#2 literally won himself the Heisman that day. The crowd constantly chanting "Boooooston" (and the reaction when Marcus Ray put him on his ass). The significance of the win in general.

Close second, and I mean cloooooose, was the UTL comeback this year.

tonyc1257

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Mine would be the 1997 Penn State game at Happy Valley. Griese and Woodson lit them up, kept that crowd of 100k very quiet, not many "We Are" chants that day.........loved every minute of it.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 pm

My favorite was also the '97 Ohio game. Also followed by this year's ND game. The 2004 MSU comeback is right there.

The thing about the ND game and the MSU game was the opposing fans TAUNTING US in our own house.

MSU students were walking out past me with 7+ minutes left in the game laughin and pointing at us.

In fact, I sat with stjotoo at this game.

At the ND game they started chanting "It SUCKS to be a Michigan Wolverine!" I thought my bud was going to climb over 5 rows of people to get to them. Then we were coming back and the Seven Nation Army chant started up. Then they scored and chanted it right back at us. Again I had to hold my friend back.

You know the rest of that story!!!!

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Got to be 1976 Mark "The Bird" Fidrych vs Yankees on Monday Night Baseball. What an electric feel in that ball park. The stadium was rocking like I've never seen at a baseball game. I was only 8 years old, my parents had just seperated, and my Uncle took me and my two brothers to the game. It was an amazing thing to be a part of.

Oh, you are talking about UM games. Has to be 1987 NW game, as mentioned in the other thread. Not so much for the game itself, but the whole day assosiated with it.

FYI, only been to 3 UM games in person. 1987 NW, 1994 PSU (loss), 2011 EMU.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Are you planning on attending more now that you're closer?

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh yeah. Spent pretty much my whole adult life in the South East, so yeah, we'll be going to more. Planning on going to Purdue game this year. I've told you all that my daughter has been accepted to Purdue and is transfering there in the fall, so we'll have a chance to visit her. She says she will be rooting for Purdue, I said that she should, and I will root for Purdue 11 other weeks of the season, but not against UM.

She asked if she can put some Purdue stuff in my UM man cave/basement. I said yes, but not much.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

lol. I have 4 nieces that are Purdue Alumni and 1 that is there now.

Maybe I should go down there for the game with my brother!

For this reason I root for Purdue also, just like Fish.

PostSubject: The 69 OSU game is still tops    Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 pm

and no doubt always will be. Nobody I mean nobody thought we had a chance. When OSU scored on abut 5 plays onits opening drive we all said uh oh, but then wecame right back and went ahead 7-6. I've never seen AA so pumped after a game, although 97 OSU is close. That's my #2. #3 is the 10-10 tie in 72? Still the hardest hitting game I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: How many games   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:09 pm

flabluefan1 wrote:
and no doubt always will be. Nobody I mean nobody thought we had a chance. When OSU scored on abut 5 plays onits opening drive we all said uh oh, but then wecame right back and went ahead 7-6. I've never seen AA so pumped after a game, although 97 OSU is close. That's my #2. #3 is the 10-10 tie in 72? Still the hardest hitting game I have ever seen.

Have you attended at the Big House?

PostSubject: haven't counted them up but first one was in 55    Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Iowa. Ron Kramer and Tom Meantz caught long tds and um came back to win 33-21. I was 10 years old. Gotta be at least 100 games I've seen in the BigHouse.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:53 pm

2005 Penn State. I guess what made it without a doubt the best football game that I have ever attended was the fact that I was in Section 15, row 15 (I think) and directly next to the Penn State section. As many of you know, their chant is "We are...Penn State". Well, that game was back and forth and they scored late in the game to take the lead. Then Henne marched Michigan down the field and threw the pass to Mario in the end-zone. Tht play ws literally maybe 50 feet in front of me. Of course, me being the arrogant Michigan Alum that I am mocked their cheer. My version went "You are.....LOSERS!" Well, needless to say they were not amused. I saw seriously around a dozen Penn State fans literally crying in the aisle with their heads in their hands. Well, this one Penn State fan a couple rows in front of me and in Section 16 took exception to my chant. He was erating nachos at the time so he decided to throw them at me. I had nacho cheese all over the front of my "MICHIGAN ALUMNI" shirt. Then I stood up and angerly exclaimed "Why you little pice of shiat". He heard that and ran away as fast as his little 5'6" frame could carry him. bI guess that I should mention that I am 6'1" 230 lbs. There were about 5 Penn State fans that approached me after who apologized for that idiot. They also stated, "Ya know, if you would have kicked his a$$ I wouldn't have helped him ion anyway. I hate the aZZ-hole".

The 2003 suckeye game was great too but that was probably because I was still in the student section.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am

Been lucky to attend some fantasic games over the yrs. Virginia in 95', Washington in 02', ND and OSU this yr. OSU in 77' celebrated on field with thousands of others. 04' vs. MSU, road trips to MSU in 97', Penn St. in 93'. Of course the worst loss, 94' vs. Colorado. Brought mom to game, said some bad words after hail mary, shocking mom a little.

Best game 2006 at Notre Dame. Irish I believe #2 in nation, M 2-0 but really not impressive in wins. Sitting on goalline 22 rows above M band. A complete ass kicking, it was beautiful. To credit of ND fans, they where very polite after game.
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 am

flabluefan1 wrote:

you're thinking of 1973 with that 10 to 10 tie. That entire game is actually posted on youtube. Sparty screwed us later that week and Bo never forgave them into his grave

Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

PostSubject: The MSU AD claimed that FRanklin's    Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Injury was the reason he voted for OSU to go. In fact Dennis was fine by the time the game would have been played. OSU went out and mauled a less good than usual USC team. No question Bo would have won that one too. May have altered his rep for not being able to win the bowl games.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Probably the '73 10-10 tie, but actually, the '71 10-7 "Woody-Hayes-For-Olympic-Javelin-Team" game was loads of fun, too. I also enjoyed the 1972 M-MSU game (Gil Chapman's 58-yard sweep for the game's only TD almost saw him run into my LAP in the N. endzone!) and the same year's Purdue game (While only a 9-6 squeaker, it was great to beat dickhead Danielson and even more, this former U-M reliver's pitching arm got to "beat" the (allegedly) world's largest drum...with snowballs!

Get my drift? All those games were from my own U-M days, not afterward!
Cripes, I loved my college days...and my college itself!!!!
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 pm

The majority of the games I have been to at the big house have been blowouts, easy wins, no drama. But I did have the honor of being at the 04 triple overtime win over Sparty and the 05 Penn State game.

For both of these games, I was sitting in the opposite end zone of all the action. South end zone for MSU, north end zone for PSU.

Henne to Manningham on the final play, from where I was sitting, I couldn't see the ball. I had to watch the crowd's reaction to know whether we got it. When they started cheering, I knew to jump up and down and go nuts. As my dad and I were walking back to the car after the game, we passed a frat house on Hoover Street and a guy was on the second story balcony with a bullhorn saying things like, "9 in a row!!!" "Attention everyone, Joe Paterno is dead." (No disrespect intended. At the time, I thought it was funny.)

As for the MSU game, the majority of it was frustrating until 7 minutes left in the game. The play calling was more conservative than usual and everyone in the stands was yelling, begging, pleading for Lloyd to have us thrown the damn ball. Once we finally did, things were good obviously. Braylon was incredible. When the game was over, I just remember screaming, hugging my dad and then turning around and hugging some random Michigan fan behind me. He must have thought I was a freak but he smiled and hugged me back. Then I screamed a little more and then I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to pass out.

Good times.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I actually got that passing out feeling during the 2009 ND game when Tate hit Matthews with the game winner.

I wanted UM to win that game so bad. First because Clauson was a total tool, and because before the game Wies was shown saying "We are in year 5 and they are in year 2, we should be way ahead of them".
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I missed this   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I actually got that passing out feeling during the 2009 ND game when Tate hit Matthews with the game winner.

I wanted UM to win that game so bad. First because Clauson was a total tool, and because before the game Wies was shown saying "We are in year 5 and they are in year 2, we should be way ahead of them".

in person because my niece got married that day!!!

We watched it at the reception, in VALPAPRAISO, IN!!!

Needless to say the reception was split. Except both bride and groom graduated from Purdue! (Damn purdue people don't know you don't get married in the fall!)

Sure wish I'd been there tho!

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Yeah, I was at home, my sister and brother-in-law were visiting, and they are both huge MSU fans, so we got to watch MSU lose to CMU that day too. Good day.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, that does sorta brighten the day up doesn't it now? lol

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Yeah, I was at home, my sister and brother-in-law were visiting, and they are both huge MSU fans, so we got to watch MSU lose to CMU that day too. Good day.

Which time...?

Very Happy

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

WolverineHistorian wrote:
The majority of the games I have been to at the big house have been blowouts, easy wins, no drama. But I did have the honor of being at the 04 triple overtime win over Sparty and the 05 Penn State game.

For both of these games, I was sitting in the opposite end zone of all the action. South end zone for MSU, north end zone for PSU.

Henne to Manningham on the final play, from where I was sitting, I couldn't see the ball. I had to watch the crowd's reaction to know whether we got it. When they started cheering, I knew to jump up and down and go nuts. As my dad and I were walking back to the car after the game, we passed a frat house on Hoover Street and a guy was on the second story balcony with a bullhorn saying things like, "9 in a row!!!" "Attention everyone, Joe Paterno is dead." (No disrespect intended. At the time, I thought it was funny.)

Trust me, seeing it right in front of me was awesome! I, in no way, am trying to rub it in but that was utterly phenomenol. And I believe that house that you were discussing was the one next door to the BOX house (actually on State St. but right there where State and Hoover meet). And up the street at some apartments (corner of Arch and State) there was a cheer that went something like "Hey hey, ho ho, we beat Penn State 9 in a row."

Actually, it seemed like every house on campus was celebrating like mad that entire day. That was an awesome day, just like every day because, "It's great...to be...a Mich-i-gan Wol-ver-ine!"

Very Happy

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite game you've *attended*?   Favorite game you've *attended*? Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite game you've *attended*?
Page 1 of 1