Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is this basketball season already a success in your view?

Go down 
+6
wshoes
MgoBlue
hailtoyourvictor
joe
fishgoblue22
rasputin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rasputin

rasputin

Is this basketball season already a success in your view? Empty
PostSubject: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 pm

or do they need to make a tournament run?

And Michigan ruled the West.”
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes it has been a success. I'd love to see a long tourney run, but I won't be overly disappointed if it doesn't happen.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

It is a magnificent success.

It will be MAGNIFICENTER when we win more!

If we lose the B1G tourney and the first game of the dance I'll be utterly disappointed but still consider it a success.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Michigan is playing with house money. 11 other big ten teams wish they could had had the season Michigan had. I'll take it.

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Yeah. I saw, during the IU/Neb game, that the #1 seed is the only seed set for the B1G tourney. LOL. We're the only ones set. Everyone else has to dogfight for their positions.

Hard to put into words but it has to get tiring knowing you can't make just one mistake and lose or your season is done. And it's not even tourney time yet. It makes you play with abandon but really puts the pressure on.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Put it this way..... Michigan just picked up a hot chick at the bar, brought her home, and got to 2nd base. If nothing else happens, it would be disappointing, but at the end of the day hundreds of guys wish they were in your shoes and at the end of the day there is plenty to be happy about.

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 am

No. What have we really accomplished? Great we finished the season on top of the B1G. That's nice. There is still a lot more to play for. Would you be content with the tigers winning their division and then getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs?

I am not saying it's NC or bust. I am saying this team is good and is capable of much more. I hope they reach their full potential.

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 am

Michigan:
-Lost the '13/14 NPOY to the NBA draft.
-Lost another 1st round pick to the NBA draft.
-Lost a preseason All-American early in the season.
-Was projected to finish between 2nd and 5th in the conference with that preseason All-American.
-Was talked about being on the bubble after the preseason All-American went down.
-Went on to win one of (if not the) toughest conferences in college basketball by possibly 2 games.

That is a successful season. "What have we really accomplished?" Um, we won a damn Big Ten Championship. Those are a big deal, whether you believe it or not. If Michigan runs into a hot shooting team (think: Yogi Ferrell, Roy Devyn Marble) and gets upset in the NCAAT, that does not take anything away from how great of a season it has been. A Big Ten Championship banner is going to be hung regardless of what happens from here on out.

I'll be disappointed if Michigan doesn't carry the success into the post-season, but the season is already a success regardless.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 am

Just think about that for a second.... From last years starting lineup, Michigan had to replace the National Player of the Year (Burke), a Preseason All-American (McGary), and a 1st round pick (THJ). How the hell do you overcome that and go on to a 14-3 conference record and outright Big Ten title? That is amazing.

If the season wasn't a success, Beilein wouldn't be on top of a lot of National Coach of the Year lists. Coaches for unsuccessful teams aren't considered for that award.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 8:29 am

Yes, IMO it has been an unqualified success. Where we go from here is just a chance to ad to it.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 am

Weren't we just talking about how the regular season is does not have the importance and respect of the conference tourney? Yea I think we did. Even more so next year when there will be even more of an unbalanced schedule.

I define success differently. If the question was is it a good season, I would say yes. A success to me is getting an A. Right now I put us in the B range. Success to me is going to my OSU fan friends and they don't say shit. Not having to explain who we lost and why it is great that we are where we are.

Last year we made the final. I didn't have to explain to anyone why it was a good season. That's my definition.

If Michigan does not win another game this season I can't say it was a success. This team can be as good as anyone when they play their best. Regardless of who they have lost they have showed us who they are and that who they have is pretty damn good.

What have you seen that has you believing we should cash in our chips now and walk away?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 am

I believe we were a pre-season 5th place team.

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 am

Also see NO ONE say we should cash in and walk away.

Don't take a comment and run it to the Nth degree.

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am

It will definitely leave a sour taste in my mouth if we do not get out of the first weekend. I see us getting a 3 seed which SHOULD get us into the sweet 16 at least, but it is March….
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 am

Wait. There are people out there that believe the Big Ten tournament is more important than the Big Ten regular season?

In what world?

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am

Michigan State's world if they get further than Michigan or just as far in that case.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 am

lol right!

But really, Big Ten basketball championships are very important. If anybody's buddies don't realize that, so what? They are the same people type of people that would think Miguel Cabrera is a relief pitcher. Michigan went 14-3 in conference including 3-0 vs Michigan St. and Ohio St. Michigan went into both Columbus AND East Lansing and got wins. Michigan won the outright season title. There are 11 Big Ten teams that wish they could have had Michigan's "SUCCESS" this season.

If Big Ten championships weren't important, why do we hang banners for them? Who cares, right?

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am

Look. I just want to win. Any loss and I'm mad for 2 days. ANY LOSS.

All of this, how would you feel..... crap does nothing for me.

When we lose and are done I will feel like crap.

The only result where I'll feel wonderful is winning the B1G tourney and then becoming National Champions. Anything less than that and I'll be sick for 2 days. Maybe more.

Then I'll reflect on the season MICHIGAN BASKETBALL has been having.

I'll say MICHIGAN was successful.

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 am

Do teams hang banners for winning the B1G tournament?

Or is it only for winning the regular season?

Been a while since we won the tourney so I don't know.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Put it this way..... Michigan just picked up a hot chick at the bar, brought her home, and got to 2nd base. If nothing else happens, it would be disappointing, but at the end of the day hundreds of guys wish they were in your shoes and at the end of the day there is plenty to be happy about.

+2

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

joe wrote:

It's called an analogy. Defensive much?
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Who decides what is banner worthy? The university?

Maybe I am losing my mind but I seem to remember a discussion that happened here that downplayed the importance of reg season. (Not that it was shitty, just that the tourneys carried more wait)I'll see if I can dig it up.

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 2:30 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
joe wrote:

It's called an analogy.  Defensive much?

really only when someone takes a discussion to the Nth degree.

Then the discussion becomes moot and pointless.

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Wasn't trying to take it to an extreme. I think the gambling analogy is an accurate one. The OP asked us if the season was a success. I read that as has the team done enough or can are content with what they have accomplished?

Feel free to come up with a better analogy. I really don't care. People are way too damn defensive and argumentative. Long story short-I am not in a fighting mood today. Maybe tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 3:34 pm

My goals at the beginning of the season

1. Make the NCAA
2. Win the B1G season
3. Make a great 8 showing

I have 2-3 already so I think its a tremendous success . If the make a decent run in the tourney it will be a WOW season

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

the artist formally known wrote:
My goals at the beginning of the season

1. Make the NCAA
2. Win the B1G season
3. Make a great 8 showing

I have 2-3 already so I think its a tremendous success . If the make a decent run in the tourney it will be a WOW  season

When artist is giving props, we know it must be good. Smile
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 5:01 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Who decides what is banner worthy?  The university?  

Maybe I am losing my mind but I seem to remember a discussion that happened here that downplayed the importance of reg season. (Not that it was shitty, just that the tourneys carried more wait)I'll see if I can dig it up.  

https://mgoforum.forumotion.com/t4333-would-you-rather

This was my take back in October:

"The one thing about winning the Big Ten title is that no other team in the Big Ten can say they were better than you. You can talk the talk because you walked the walk.

I don't feel like Michigan was the best basketball team in the Big Ten last year. The NCAAT is about getting hot at the right time and about matchups. I think Indiana was a better team than Michigan, but faced a Syracuse zone that they didn't matchup well against. Mitch McGary is much better at passing from the high post than Zeller is and that is what allowed Michigan to beat that zone.

Indiana fans can still say they won the Big Ten title and swept Michigan. They have a pretty good argument for being the better team."

Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I am very happy with the season, but I could be very happier!
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 10:14 am

Here are some non-biased, non-Michigan fans views on Regular Season champs vs Big Ten tournament champs.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2194&tid=171598952&mid=171601674&SID=1146&Style=2

PostSubject: Re: Is this basketball season already a success in your view?   Is this basketball season already a success in your view? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this basketball season already a success in your view?
Page 1 of 1