Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Please help me out and explain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

Please help me out and explain Empty
PostSubject: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 am

the play-in games.

This is the way MY SIMPLE mind sees it.

If you're in a play-in game it means you are one of the "worst" teams in the tourney.

So why does the winer of a play in gme play a #3 seed next game?

Again, in my simple mind the 4 play-in game winners should play the 4 #1 seeds.

Whassup wit dat?

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Great question. Wish I knew the answer. I do not recall in previous years this being the case. I may be wrong but I am usually pretty involved in the tourney as i have run my pool for years and usually have several brackets filled out..
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Good question, Joe. And I agree....you're one of the 'Last 4' or whatever.

To me, that means you're seeded worse than the #16, so you should have to face the #1.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Bingo.

And, even worse, it's actually a #5 seed that's playing one of the play-in winners.

So, there is no rhyme or reason?

2 of the play-in games are for a 16 seed, one is for a 14 seed and one is for a 12 seed.

Someone PLEASE make some sense of this

PostSubject: Re: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am

Great question stjoe...i wish i knew the answer but ill take a guess...maybe it is a way to differentiate the four brackets and moreover -giving the highest #1 seed an advantage over the other 1 seeds??

it looks as if UK has the best advantage -a 1 matched against a play-in.

Syracuse is the second highest ranked 1 seed. They play a 16 seed, and no-one else matched vs play-ins in their bracket -which is to their advantage.

UNC is the 3rd ranked 1-seed...matched against a play-in, but so is 5-seed Temple.

MSU might be the 4th 1-seed...they play a 16 seed, and the 3-seed Marquette is matched vs a play -in...pretty much guaranteeing the 3-seed an first rnd advance.

so to sum things up, they are trying to implement probability somehow...not sure if i ranked them right...but UK definitely has the best advantage and I would think Cuse has the second best advantage.

does it really matter all things considered? probably not, (really -what is the difference between the play-ins and a 16-seed?) but it gives everyone something more to talk about.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me out and explain   Please help me out and explain Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help me out and explain
Page 1 of 1