Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reports???

Go down 
+2
joe
dwoody
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dwoody

dwoody

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Reports???   Reports??? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 am

Am I to assume nobody went to the spring whatever yesterday?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 am

I was there Woody. Really not much to tell.

The running game looked like it was working. THe short passing game appeared to be working. Our defense looks a little young.

So hard to say. If the offense looks good then the defense is bad and vice versa.

Kickers looked good.

A student hit a 30 yard field goal for a $500 bookstore gift certificate. lol.

Mazi Smith (freshman) looked HUGE. Ben VanSumeran (sp) was the main runner and looked good. Dylan McCaffery will be the man next year and I have no qualms a bout him playing full time this year if he needs to. When he gets the edge no one will catch him. He's got long legs and will out run even defensive backs. The 2 offensive linemen we picked up are fighting for the right tackle spot along with Stueber. The kid from Traverse City is huge also. About 6'7".

Mason did indeed play interior defensive line. Looked like he was in the 3.

Anything in particular besides that?

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 am

joe wrote:
Dylan McCaffery will be the man next year and I have no qualms a bout him playing full time this year if he needs to. When he gets the edge no one will catch him. He's got long legs and will out run even defensive backs.

So DMac over Shea?  I heard, yea I know "heard", that Shea was looking good this year but I also did not hear any mention of DMac.  However if you'll remember I was saying watch DMac.  I am in no way saying put him in over Shea right now but I wouldn't be shocked.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?

Last edited by Bo 2.0 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
joe wrote:
Dylan McCaffery will be the man next year and I have no qualms a bout him playing full time this year if he needs to. When he gets the edge no one will catch him. He's got long legs and will out run even defensive backs. /quote]

So DMac over Shea?  I heard, yea I know "heard", that Shea was looking good this year but I also did not hear any mention of DMac.  However if you'll remember I was saying watch DMac.  I am in no way saying put him in over Shea right now but I wouldn't be shocked.

No way McCaffery starts over Shea this season unless there is an injury. QB's that complete 65% of their passes and have a 27-7 TD/INT ratio do not get replaced.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 am

Was there a chance to determine if the O was moving faster getting plays off?
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:
joe wrote:
Dylan McCaffery will be the man next year and I have no qualms a bout him playing full time this year if he needs to. When he gets the edge no one will catch him. He's got long legs and will out run even defensive backs. /quote]

No way McCaffery starts over Shea this season unless there is an injury.  QB's that complete 65% of their passes and have a 27-7 TD/INT ratio do not get replaced.

Agree.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Ok I guess I mis spoke. When I said Dylan would start next year I meant 2020.

Since we've had spring game already I consider this year to be this year.

My other comment is that I would have no qualms with Dylan starting If he needs to. If Shea goes down there will be very little drop off.

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 4:02 am

joe wrote:
Ok I guess I mis spoke. When I said Dylan would start next year I meant 2020.

Since we've had spring game already I consider this year to be this year.

My other comment is that I would have no qualms with Dylan starting If he needs to. If Shea goes down there will be very little drop off.

It happens, no big deal. I still think DMac is more than capable of running the show. Do I think he will this fall? Not barring injury but he could. Remember I was talking to some people in the know when I went to see my buddy out in So. Cal. (think who is from there and connected to the Michigan Football team then) and the word was DMac should start his RS year. I never believed that but they insisted. Of course he didn't and he RS thankfully but that was also before we knew anything about Shea coming to Michigan via transfer.

I am in no way saying "I knew it", in fact I argued like crazy with them (in SoCal- not 'eggo). But that is what I heard back then and I have witnessed immense progress from when DMac got here until he got hurt last year. I still haven't seen him play since yet but joe is talking him up so there is no reason for me to think that he regressed.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 4:07 am

I just thought of this comparison. DMac vs. Kaepernick in his good year(s)? What would you say about that joe? DMac can run, Kaepernick was very mobile. Kaep wasn't the best passer but he still was NFL caliber. DMac has a cannon, although I'm unaware of accuracy/touch/decision ability.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
michmike

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 am

Wasn't there--and even had I been I'm convinced I wouldn't have seen/learned much--but a colleague from here in Western NY (also a U-M alum) was, and had this to say about Shea:

"I read that Nick B. wrote, 'Patterson's poor throws could be counted on one hand' ", [my pal said]. "Well, let me correct that. His poor throws could be counted on the fingers of a hand that had just tried to catch a Jose Alvarado fastball bare-handed."

Sweet-sounding forecast, sure.  But there's a LONG time till August 31.  Here's hoping Shea continues to hold on to his starting job the JIMBO way---by continually EARNING it. And yes I've read the posts above about DMac's speed and versatility, Joe Milton's arm strength, etc.

To quote old Uf: We shall see what we shall see...
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 3:34 am

Milton has a nuclear warhead for an arm, no denying that. It is even superior to DMac's, however Milton also has a nuclear head (and not in a good way). I don't know much about the actual situation but I seriously doubt that we'll ever see Milton starting a game unless a worst case scenario ensues and even then it's iffy.

Shea has been solid. He has in no way, shape, or form done anything to lose the job. DMac is just taking it. That being said I think Shea will remain the starter this year. If he gets hurt I'll o course be concerned but at the same time I'll be quite comfortable with DMac taking the snaps. Correction, I'll be nervous but only because that would mean Milton is #2 and with the way DMac runs all of the time Milton is always only a play away.

Cade McNamara looks like a potentially decent option but he's RS'ing this year. He won't be anywhere near ready this fall. Cade could theoretically be #2 next year but that all depends on how he learns the system. JD Johnson (2020) just from his physical stats. (6'4" 190) sounds like he could be the real deal as well but he'll need a RS year and of course who knows if the kid is any good or not? Calling 'eggo on this one.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
Milton has a nuclear warhead for an arm, no denying that.  It is even superior to DMac's, however Milton also has a nuclear head (and not in a good way).  I don't know much about the actual situation but I seriously doubt that we'll ever see Milton starting a game unless a worst case scenario  ensues and even then it's iffy.

Shea has been solid.  He has in no way, shape, or form done anything to lose the job.  DMac is just taking it.  That being said I think Shea will remain the starter this year.    If he gets hurt I'll o course be concerned but at the same time I'll be quite comfortable with DMac taking the snaps.  Correction, I'll be nervous but only because that would mean Milton is #2 and with the way DMac runs all of the time Milton is always only a play away.

Cade McNamara looks like a potentially decent option but he's RS'ing this year.  He won't be anywhere near ready this fall.  Cade could theoretically be #2 next year but that all depends on how he learns the system.  JD Johnson (2020) just from his physical stats. (6'4" 190) sounds like he could be the real deal as well but he'll need a RS year and of course who knows if the kid is any good or not?  Calling 'eggo on this one.

This is the most depth I've seen at QB for UM since the Greise, Brady, Dreisbach days. It's a great problem to have.

I agree on Milton. I don't know about a "nuclear head", but he was always going to be a project. Huge upside, but he did complete less than 50% of his passes in HS. So his accuracy was always going to be an issue.
Back to top Go down
michmike

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am

Fish (and others)--- I have a THEORY (and nothing more than that, mind) on Milton's issue (at least the arm-related one)...because of, umm, "experience" in a different way.

Yours truly always relied on his hummer to get batters out in high school...and usually could. Definitely received a rude awakening when he tried same tactic vs. Big 10 hitters.  Which was why he couldn't keep his roster spot past soph. yr. Had nothing noteworthy outside the fastball...

Perhaps J.M. thinks he can get the ball to a receiver 40 yards downfield sooner than any DB can get into the passing lane?  That he can out-throw any deep coverage, no matter how deep?  That his WRs will always be able to catch his missiles, even at close range?

Get my parallel???   One's HEAD comes into play at least as much as one's arm/legs/etc. as the competition gets stiffer. You can't outmuscle college athletes (forget pro athletes) as you could in HS; have to start outthinking them as well. Perhaps JM needs to learn that and hasn't ???
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 pm

michmike wrote:
Fish (and others)--- I have a THEORY (and nothing more than that, mind) on Milton's issue (at least the arm-related one)...because of, umm, "experience" in a different way.

Yours truly always relied on his hummer to get batters out in high school...and usually could. Definitely received a rude awakening when he tried same tactic vs. Big 10 hitters.  Which was why he couldn't keep his roster spot past soph. yr.  Had nothing noteworthy outside the fastball...

Perhaps J.M. thinks he can get the ball to a receiver 40 yards downfield sooner than any DB can get into the passing lane?  That he can out-throw any deep coverage, no matter how deep?  That his WRs will always be able to catch his missiles, even at close range?

Get my parallel???   One's HEAD comes into play at least as much as one's arm/legs/etc. as the competition gets stiffer. You can't outmuscle college athletes (forget pro athletes) as you could in HS; have to start outthinking them as well. Perhaps JM needs to learn that and hasn't ???

I was completely unaware that he played baseball. And "people" think B1G TEN baseball is a joke...

What you described is exactly the type of nuclear head that I was referring to. You can see it even in the way he runs onto the field for his typically 1 play a game. He acts like he has already scored. The other defenses just laugh at him and hit him at the line of scrimmage.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
michmike wrote:

Yours truly always relied on his hummer to get batters out in high school...and usually could. Definitely received a rude awakening when he tried same tactic vs. Big 10 hitters.  Which was why he couldn't keep his roster spot past soph. yr.  Had nothing noteworthy outside the fastball...

I was completely unaware that he played baseball.  And "people" think B1G TEN baseball is a joke...

What you described is exactly the type of nuclear head that I was referring to.  You can see it even in the way he runs onto the field for his typically 1 play a game.  He acts like he has already scored.  The other defenses just laugh at him and hit him at the line of scrimmage.

Mike played baseball, not Milton.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
michmike wrote:

I was completely unaware that he played baseball.  And "people" think B1G TEN baseball is a joke...

What you described is exactly the type of nuclear head that I was referring to.  You can see it even in the way he runs onto the field for his typically 1 play a game.  He acts like he has already scored.  The other defenses just laugh at him and hit him at the line of scrimmage.

I'd love to see any clips showing the defense laughing at Milton during a game.

That comment is asinine. Your dislike for him shows through.

wshoes

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 am

Of the 3- my estimate of arm strength based solely upon watching them before each home game in pre-dame drills would be 1) Milton 2) Shea 3) Dylan

Just because Dylan is tall doesn't mean he has a strong arm. Wilton Speight was a tall guy without a strong arm.

The most critical attribute is accuracy though, assuming you have the minimum threshold of arm strength and I have no worries there with Shea or Dylan. The point about being raw with Milton is valid and the throwing for a low completion percentage in HS is worrisome. By the way that was exactly the worry I had about Shane who also had a very strong arm. Some guys take a great leap forward with coaching and work, others don't. As Mike says, we shall see.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:
michmike wrote:

Mike played baseball, not Milton.

My bad. Whoops, I read his comment wrong.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 am

joe wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:
michmike wrote:

I'd love to see any clips showing the defense laughing at Milton during a game.

That comment is asinine. Your dislike for him shows through.

I don't care what anyone says, Milton is not a B1G TEN QB. It's similar to when we had Denard. Defenses knew that he was not going to throw the ball so they keyed on the run. The difference is I liked Denard, Milton not so much.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 am

So, no clips of anyone laughing at him?

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm

joe wrote:

Can you show me a clip of them NOT laughing at him?

It's an expression jackhole....

I bet that I'll be suspended now even though I don't deserve it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 9:57 pm

joe wrote:

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm gonna leave this right here.

"Patterson leads a talented quarterback room that includes backup Dylan McCaffrey and Joe Milton. All three have the arms and mobility to handle the versatility of this offense.

“They make it so easy,” Gattis said. “Just their skill set. I think when you look at all the quarterbacks, just the versatility they have, not only as throwers, runners, they’re very smart, they’ve got quick releases. They can make any throw on the field. They can get the ball out of their hands."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/04/20/michigans-mutt-dog-offense-likely-employ-wide-play-array/3531000002/

ThatGuy

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 4:06 am

joe wrote:
I'm gonna leave this right here.

"Patterson leads a talented quarterback room that includes backup Dylan McCaffrey and Joe Milton. All three have the arms and mobility to handle the versatility of this offense.

“They make it so easy,” Gattis said. “Just their skill set. I think when you look at all the quarterbacks, just the versatility they have, not only as throwers, runners, they’re very smart, they’ve got quick releases. They can make any throw on the field. They can get the ball out of their hands."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/04/20/michigans-mutt-dog-offense-likely-employ-wide-play-array/3531000002/

This I'll agree with, however it's no different than the spring-hype we hear every year. Like mike I am quite confident in either Shea or DMac. I'm personally very hesitant to turn the keys over to Milton but time will tell. Hopefully we do not even have to address that question for 2 years. This isn't High School ball where an athlete can disguise flaws in his game.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 pm

Look, I'm not maintaining he's anywhere close to ready. Not this year, maybe not next year.

Reports??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports???   Reports??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Reports???
Page 1 of 1