Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC

Go down 
+9
dwoody
the artist formally known
sandyeggo_blue
gm_goblue1205
MGOBLUEBC
MgoBlue
hailtoyourvictor
BetterThansparty
fishgoblue22
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:29 pm

agree with you Sandy .... no doubt Gary is a great prospect and a need ... but LB is definitely in need of elite players ... we have no depth as you say and hopefully Gedeon does not become a senior version of Bolden/Morgan/Ross , and with McCray , who knows what the hell to expect from him
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:
one thing to note, of the remaining targets, my personal "must get" recruit  is dontavious jackson (even over gary) and he has already spoken to harbaugh and said of the hiring, "It's a hell of a move."

Dontavious told Wolverine247 that "Coach Harbaugh filled me in on what he will bring to the Michigan defense and I'm excited about it."

this is great news all around.

You were right on Johnson > Green, but I'm not getting on the Mone > Peppers and Jackson > Gary trains. LB is more of a need for sure, but Gary is such an elite player. College offensive simply don't have the tools to deal with size/strength/athleticism combinations that guys like Clowney and Gary. Gary looks like a mix between Clowney and Suh and I want to see that in a winged helmet. Badly.

as soon as I posted that I thought about editing and clarifying it. I didn't mean that I think djax is better than gary. it's just that in terms of class need he is a "must-get" whereas gary is a "cherry-on-top" recruit for the team. gary's skills at his position are much better djax's at his but no position is a bigger question mark than LB right now.  we need LBs worse than ohio girls need to get checked for VD. so if I have to weigh the needs of the team djax sits a bit higher.

also, I think IIRC my post about mone was not that he was better than peppers, it was that even if we landed Hand in that class, mone would still have been my favorite Dlineman. in fact I'm almost certain that is what I posted. no mistake though that peppers was THE guy in that class and was the top of the list regardless of position.

And I believe that when it comes to a generational talent like Rashan Gary, landing him trumps need 10 times out of 10.

Regarding Mone, you said he would be the better than Hand and the biggest difference maker in the class.

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
BOLEACH7 wrote:
be happy we have a top tier DC hire ... age should not matter ... results matter ... my take is that he molded great Ds with players that top college powers did not want ... as well being his age this is not a stepping stone to a greater job offer .... GO BLUE !!!!

Calling a spade a spade. Stop buying into the offended era of this country.

I'm offended.

#offendedlivesmatter
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:41 pm

BOLEACH7 wrote:
agree with you Sandy .... no doubt Gary is a great prospect and a need ... but LB is definitely in need of elite players ... we have no depth as you say and hopefully Gedeon does not become a senior version of Bolden/Morgan/Ross , and with McCray , who knows what the hell to expect from him

When you have a generational talent like Suh on the D-Line that can eat up double teams and spit them out, it makes the job a hell-of-a-lot easier for the LBs playing behind them.

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:43 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
BOLEACH7 wrote:

When you have a generational talent like Suh on the D-Line that can eat up double teams and spit them out, it makes the job a hell-of-a-lot easier for the LBs playing behind them.

Then he will go to the NFL and eat up the salary cap.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:45 pm

EJinGA wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:
BOLEACH7 wrote:

Then he will go to the NFL and eat up the salary cap.

Only after he gets us into 2 or 3 CFB playoffs. bounce

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:47 pm

dwoody wrote:
ps: What did Brandon do to the hockey team and, more to the point, who cares? Again with the puerile "bouncey ball" shit?

Where to start?  OK, UM had the best student section in all of college hockey.  The environment alone made it damn near impossible for the opposing team to win.  DB Brandon took care of that by more than doubling student season ticket prices.  The student section at Yost used to run the entire East side of the ice (minus the first 5 rows behind the benches for player tickets, parents, etc.  Now they have 2 sections, the current student section is a shell of what it once was.  He jacked ticket prices on the public as well.  Hockey at one time had a waiting list (not quite as large as football) for season tickets, not so anymore.  He brought in canned music to Yost, big mistake.  He marketed everything, and yes I mean everything.  It got so bad the students started mocking him with their chants.  They'd bring a sheet with "This chant brought to you by (some random company)" and hold it up occassionally during a chant.  He raised prices on everything.  He seriously turned being an usher at ANY athletic event into a job.  All of those people that you see at athltic events wearing "staff" shirts and coats are volunteers, yes even football.  He turned a simple form asking basic information so the athletic Department could do back-ground checks on volunteers into an 8 page aplication where you had to list your hobbies, goals, etc. on a form.  He even wanted the returning staff to apply to do the same jobs that they've been doing for years.  I know/knew around a dozen people who quit volunteering at hockey games because of this BS.  I'm positive there were more in football but you can't notice due to the size of the event.

It's still kind of difficult to yell at him for this part but he rennovated Yost.  It needed it and that's why I give him a pass.  However capacity is down, there is an absolute ton of wasted space, there used to be wood bleachers (that soaked in the smell of roasted almonds) in Yost that were painted blue but now it's all aluminum.  It used to be dark in Yost, except on the ice where ice is needed, but now you practically need sun-glasses because of the damn aluminum bleachers and all of the light reflecting off of them. The ghosts in Yost of former players who would seemingly help out with a bounce here or there are no longer present. Yost used to ooze history, now you just feel like a sardine in there.

He cleaned-out the Athletic Department (read Bacon's new book) so UM athletics in general were no longer the fun, less expensive event where you knew everyone.  They became cold, business like "events" where no one knew you, no one cared, and the staff were a bunch of idiots.

Finally I apologize to you specifically 'woody about the bouncy-ball remark, I just wanted to get my point about "one and done coaches" accross to 'artist more effectively.  Does that mean I regret Durkin ever coming here?  No, I'm glad he was here but now the defense has to learn yet another new system.  Won't this be 3 different DC's in 3 years (and 5 in 8 years)?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?

Last edited by TheNewBlueOrder on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:51 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
dwoody wrote:
ps: What did Brandon do to the hockey team and, more to the point, who cares? Again with the puerile "bouncey ball" shit?

Where to start?  OK, UM had the best student section in all of college hockey.  The environment alone made it damn near impossible for the opposing team to win.  DB Brandon took care of that b more than doubling student season ticket prices.  The student section at Yost used to run the entire East side of the ice (minus the first 5 rows behind the benches for player tickets, parents, etc.  Now they have 2 sections, the current student section is a shell of what it once was.  He jacked ticket prices on the public as well.  Hockey at one time had a waiting list (not quite as large as football) for season tickets, not so anymore.  He brought in canned music to Yost, big mistake.  He marketed everything, and yes I mean everything.  It got so bad the students started mocking him with their chants.  They'd bring a sheet with "This chant brought to you by (some random company)" and hold it up occassionally during a chant.  He raised prices on everything.  He seriously turned being an usher at ANY athltic event into a job.  All of those people that you see at athltic events wearing "staff" shirts and coats are volunteers, yes even football.  He turned a simple form asking basic information so the athletic Department could do back-ground checks on volunteers into an 8 page aplication where you had to list your hobbies, goals, etc. on a form.  He even wanted the returning staff to apply to do the same jobs that they've been doing for years.  I know/knew around a dozen people who quit volunteering at hockey games because of this BS.  I'm positive there were more in football but you can't notice due to the size of the event.

It's still kind of difficult to yell at him for this part but he rennovted Yost.  It needed it and that's why I give him a pass.  However capacity is down, there is an absolute ton of wasted space, there used to be wood bleachers in Yost that were painted blue but now it's all aluminum.  It used to be dark in Yost, except on the ice where ice is needed, but now you practically need sun-glasses because of the damn aluminum bleachers and all of the light reflecting off of them.

He cleaned-out the Athletic Department (read Bacon's new book) so UM athletics in general were no longer the fun, less expensive event where you knew everyone.  They were cold, business like "events" where no one knew you, no one cared, and the staff were a bunch of idiots.

Finally I apologize to you specifically about the bouncy-ball remark, I just wanted to get my point about "one and done coaches" accross to artist more effectively.  Does that mean I regret Durkin ever coming here?  No, I'm glad he was here but now the defense has to learn yet another new system.  Won't this be 3 different DC's in 3 years (and 5 in 8 years)?

I'd say Power 5 basketball coaches stick around a lot longer than Power 5 football coaches.

Oh, and like dwoody said, no one cares about anything Brandon did to hockey.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 3:11 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
dwoody wrote:

Where to start?  OK, UM had the best student section in all of college hockey.  The environment alone made it damn near impossible for the opposing team to win.  DB Brandon took care of that b more than doubling student season ticket prices.  The student section at Yost used to run the entire East side of the ice (minus the first 5 rows behind the benches for player tickets, parents, etc.  Now they have 2 sections, the current student section is a shell of what it once was.  He jacked ticket prices on the public as well.  Hockey at one time had a waiting list (not quite as large as football) for season tickets, not so anymore.  He brought in canned music to Yost, big mistake.  He marketed everything, and yes I mean everything.  It got so bad the students started mocking him with their chants.  They'd bring a sheet with "This chant brought to you by (some random company)" and hold it up occassionally during a chant.  He raised prices on everything.  He seriously turned being an usher at ANY athltic event into a job.  All of those people that you see at athltic events wearing "staff" shirts and coats are volunteers, yes even football.  He turned a simple form asking basic information so the athletic Department could do back-ground checks on volunteers into an 8 page aplication where you had to list your hobbies, goals, etc. on a form.  He even wanted the returning staff to apply to do the same jobs that they've been doing for years.  I know/knew around a dozen people who quit volunteering at hockey games because of this BS.  I'm positive there were more in football but you can't notice due to the size of the event.

It's still kind of difficult to yell at him for this part but he rennovted Yost.  It needed it and that's why I give him a pass.  However capacity is down, there is an absolute ton of wasted space, there used to be wood bleachers in Yost that were painted blue but now it's all aluminum.  It used to be dark in Yost, except on the ice where ice is needed, but now you practically need sun-glasses because of the damn aluminum bleachers and all of the light reflecting off of them.

He cleaned-out the Athletic Department (read Bacon's new book) so UM athletics in general were no longer the fun, less expensive event where you knew everyone.  They were cold, business like "events" where no one knew you, no one cared, and the staff were a bunch of idiots.

Finally I apologize to you specifically about the bouncy-ball remark, I just wanted to get my point about "one and done coaches" accross to artist more effectively.  Does that mean I regret Durkin ever coming here?  No, I'm glad he was here but now the defense has to learn yet another new system.  Won't this be 3 different DC's in 3 years (and 5 in 8 years)?

I'd say Power 5 basketball coaches stick around a lot longer than Power 5 football coaches.

I knew that I should not have opened your post but I did it anyway.  WTF is college "basketball" famous for?  The one and done player.  Very few coaches, in any sport, are one and done (at least head, assistant, or coordinator).  You can't be a one and done player in college football, well technically you can but where are you going to play the next two years?  You must be 3 years post High-school to even enter the NFL draft.  Not so in "basketball".  That was my point, it sucks that I had to personally walk you through this.  And before you pipe up about it yes you can be one and done in hockey too.  See Dylan Larkin...

And plenty of people cared about how DB Brandon screwed over hockey. You're just too dense to know any.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 3:25 pm

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
dwoody wrote:

I knew that I should not have opened your post but I did it anyway.  WTF is college "basketball" famous for?  The one and done player.  Very few coaches, in any sport, are one and done (at least head, assistant, or coordinator).  You can't be a one and done player in college football, well technically you can but where are you going to play the next two years?  You must be 3 years post High-school to even enter the NFL draft.  Not so in "basketball".  That was my point, it sucks that I had to personally walk you through this.  And before you pipe up about it yes you can be one and done in hockey too.  See Dylan Larkin...

And plenty of people cared about how DB Brandon screwed over hockey.  You're just too dense to know any.

You have obviously never heard of John Calipari. HE says it's all about the kids! What's in it for him? Making a difference in the lives of those talented young men, he says. That's what college basketball is famous for. Shaping the lives of our athletic youth, so they can grow up and take 2 bimbos home from the club and rob him of $750,000 worth of his jewelry like Derrick Williams.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 7:30 pm

MGOBLUEBC wrote:
I guess this must be a hell of a hire.......look at the reactions on twitter! DAM!

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/twitter-reacts-harbaughs-hiring-don-brown-hint-you-will-love

I love this one from Mark Ennis:

"RIP Big Ten. Brown is a mad scientist"

Quite an impressive list of posts. My post would/will be "In Jim we trust"!! Smile

Go Blue!! Smile

wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Have loved Michigan Hockey for a long time. I absolutely care!
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:10 am

wshoes wrote:

Please note 'shoes, we know what Michigan Hockey is all about.  The non-believers are simply football fans (and basketball too when it's convenient)....

Also note, even though I despise basketball, I still support Michigan basketball.  I'll never go to a game but I'll half-watch on TV.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Last edited by TheNewBlueOrder on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:14 am

To New B.O., apology appreciated re the basketball remark.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 am

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
wshoes wrote:

Please note 'shoes, we know what Michigan Hockey is all about.  The non-believers are simply football fans (and basketball too when it's convenient)....

Also note, even though I despise basketball, I still support Michigan basketball.  I'll never go to a game but I'll half-watch on TV.

I'm a basketball fan when it is and when it isn't convenient, but thanks for your input.

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 9:50 am

Isn't it possible to like BOTH hockey AND football? And what does football have to do with not being a fan of Hockey? Sounds like something a Clinton would say.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 am

I'm a MICHIGAN fan, I don't care what sport, therefore, I don't understand what all the dam bickering is about.

Geez, give it a fucking rest people.
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:12 am

MGOBLUEBC wrote:
I'm a MICHIGAN fan, I don't care what sport, therefore, I don't understand what all the dam bickering is about.

well put .... GO BLUE !!!!!
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 am

MGOBLUEBC wrote:

Amen. I watch hockey whenever it is on, I watch basketball whenever it is on, hell, I've watched the ladies in the softball world series too. I think coach Hutch is one of the best coaches at the school.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 11:01 am

I have absolutely nothing against hockey. Any remarks I have made have been strictly in response to disparagements of the sport of basketball. Period.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:56 pm

dwoody wrote:
I have absolutely nothing against hockey. Any remarks I have made have been strictly in response to disparagements of the sport of basketball. Period.

Same.

I love college basketball. It's quite easily my favorite sport. When a college hockey fan trashes college basketball, I feel obligated to remind said fan that college basketball is significantly more relevant than college hockey.

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 pm

I went to a few hockey games at dank old Yost back in the day, v moo and maybe LSSU(?). Can't remember if we beat Lake Superior, but I know we beat the girls.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 1:32 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
MGOBLUEBC wrote:

Amen.  I watch hockey whenever it is on, I watch basketball whenever it is on, hell, I've watched the ladies in the softball world series too. I think coach Hutch is one of the best coaches at the school.

Me too, on all of the above.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 1:47 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
...Regarding Mone, you said he would be the better than Hand and the biggest difference maker in the class...

I don't remember saying that about Mone because I knew how special Jabrill was but I'm too lazy to go look it up but it sounds like something I would have said because I was that impressed with him. also could have been a drunken drunken  type post so who knows Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
...When you have a generational talent like Suh on the D-Line that can eat up double teams and spit them out, it makes the job a hell-of-a-lot easier for the LBs playing behind them...

I think that's a fair statement. I think that it's obvious that our stellar D line play early on this year helped mask some of the LB problems that were there. they were exposed a bit as the D lineman were injured and as the season went on. So I generally agree with that statement.

the point I was trying to make, and apparently failed at, was that regardless of how Suh-like our D line recruits are and regardless of how dominant the line is there has been a serious lack of LBs that can get side to side to with speed. Because of that, spread teams have eaten UM up and it's been so frustrating if not a little embarrassing. That is probably the main reason why D Jax is tops on my "must get" list. Another reason is that, even if we don't land Gary, I think our D line is going to be really good for the next few years. So while it would be a home run to land him and I would be ecstatic if MICHIGAN did, he's not a "must get", fast  hard hitting LBs are IMO.

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 2:55 pm

dwoody wrote:
I went to a few hockey games at dank old Yost back in the day, v moo and maybe LSSU(?). Can't remember if we beat Lake Superior, but I know we beat the girls.

speaking of LSSU , used to go watch them in the late 80s early 90s when they were a national power ... only time I never cheered for them was when Michigan was in town ... great atmosphere in those days , the old barn was packed
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Remember when this thread was about the hiring of a new DC?
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 5:18 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Remember when this thread was about the hiring of a new DC?

Really?? (sarcastic). lol!

Go Blue!! Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC   Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Reports say new DC Don Brown from BC
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2